Solar Cycle 22 not dead YET!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

Speaking of conditions, recently I've programmed in a popular repeater frequency in the 10 meter band, 29.620 mhz FM, and have been hearing this one repeater in New Jersey, very active, tons of stations from New York to Florida and Texas talking on it. The other day a guy on an HT (handheld portable) in his office IN NEW ALBANY NY was talking to someone through the repeater in NJ to someone else in Texas.
Is that not insane heh. I think the next HT I get will include 10meters FM. And I would think that with how the solar cycle is coming to an end that 10 meters would be dead, but its actually been picking up, so its almost daily that repeater comes in.

So day or night if you're bored and wanna see what HAMS are enjoying (something you all could do too) tune your scanners to 29.620 mhz and just let it scan that freq along with other stuff. eventually (when the band opens up) you'll begin hearing people having conversations on the repeater. For me the most predominant(sp) one has been the one in NJ. But there are a few others on the same freq.

nexus

1/4 wave VHF antenna on my car...

I'm only monitoring, as I don't have a general class yet. But I've been listening to it mobile on my yaesu ft-8900r for the past couple of weeks now. It's pretty cool to be hearing these repeaters come in and all of the stations make it in.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is most likely E Skip - most think that this has something to do with solar UV radiation - F2 Skip - the kind that happens when the sunspots are really perking - is possible but rather unlikely this low in the cycle. By most estimates, we're still 2 or 3 years away from really good propagation due to increased solar activity.

It's also possible that a flare could bring things up for a while. They happen even in low points in the cycle. I don't think there's been anything lately - I always watch Spaceweather for news about that. 73s Mike

nexus

10 meters hopping still!

Yesterday morning after work I was driving home on I-10 was noticed 3 or 4 ten meter repeaters coming in like gangbusters, so when I got home I fired up the TS-450 and hooked my heil boomset up and started dialing around the phone portion of ten. I found a special event station on 28.4000 calling CQ. Good signal... I answered up and we began a QSO. He was in Portsmouth Ohio. Not a bad haul for a dead band *grinz* Oh I was only using 20 watts into a wire dipole only up about 15 feet above ground. Hopefully they have a nice QSL card. I'm mailing mine off to them tomorrow morning.
Here's mine:
kb5fsv.1148742026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.