Solar Powered Repeaters on City Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvodvarka

I have noticed some kind of Repeater Systems in several local citys poles. There two gain omni antennas with a solar panel and a weather proof box. Does anybody know who these belong to and what they are used for? Gary

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I'm pretty sure you are describing either Wi-Fi, or the fill in antennas that cell phone companies use.

scottyhetzel

Its not a cell tower, its a wifi access that cable companies are offering like TimeWarner....now comcast. Since they just got bought. alltel is putting up small cell sites that are very hard to see.the pole is a single white antenna.

gvodvarka

Solar repeaters

That is probably what they are. I talked to a friend of mine that says the gas co. is also rolling out a wireless meter reading system. Does anybody have an idea what frequencies they are using? Gary

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know that Southern California Edison has this system because they were able to turn on my power and turn it off by a remote wireless feature fed to the meter box. You either move or don't pay your bill, no problem nobody needs to physically come out anymore. Just flip the switch and you have been turned off. It saves more money than to have to employee physical warm bodies and its safer for the company to operate that way.

scottyhetzel

I know that Southern California Edison has this system because they were able to turn on my power and turn it off by a remote wireless feature fed to the meter box. You either move or don't pay your bill, no problem nobody needs to physically come out anymore. Just flip the switch and you have been turned off. It saves more money than to have to employee physical warm bodies and its safer for the company to operate that way.

Not exactly... there is one smart edison meter that sends signal via power line carrier thru the neutral. Up to 5 meters broadcast to one smart meter... nobody except Edison knows the host. They are NOT wireless...I can speak for So.Gas Co..

Status
Not open for further replies.