Solar Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
Has anybody out there noted anything significant in regards to the solar storm? (radio interference, DX or skip etc.) anything? even non radio related.

only thing i can note its some slightly out of range FM and AM stations that normally come in choppy are coming in a bit clearer, (ones from out on Long Island, or SW Connecticut)

KB1UAM

I am picking up Boston police and fire fairly well and I am on cape cod which is about 50 miles south of boston

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am picking up live audio and video from the Playboy Mansion on my br330t all of a sudden.

I honestly have not noticed anything out of the norm. My scratchy scpd is still scratchy and my far away conv freqs still sound far away...

Thayne

I am picking up live audio and video from the Playboy Mansion on my br330t all of a sudden.

I honestly have not noticed anything out of the norm. My scratchy scpd is still scratchy and my far away conv freqs still sound far away...

Did You hear Hef taking consecutive hits from his Albuterol Bong? :p

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The higher frequency HF bands above 40 meters (10-30+ MHZ) have been very quiet with poor ionospheric propagation since the CME hit Earth's magnetosphere. It will take a couple of days or more for things to calm down and HF propagation to return to normal.

This is likely what happened just about the time in 1941 when the Japanese were about to attack Pearl Harbor. The DC bureaucrats couldn't get a message through to Hawaii via the Navy's HF radio system and had to use plain old telegraph lines by sending a Western Union Telegram to Hawaii. It was delayed and didn't get to Pearl in time to warn them of the impending attack.

It happens often during active sun-spot cycles. This cycle has been especially active while the last solar-max period (11 years ago) was stunningly quiet. It first hinders, then helps the long distance propagation characteristics of the ionosphere.

It's gonna be a super summer for long distance HF contacts in the ham radio world. I'm hoping for a great 6 meter band opening during Field Day this June... Come-on sun spots!!!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There has been a negative impact on both satellite-based comms and some cellular data in my area.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
Shortwave had been quiet during the day today, I got hardly anything on my Grundig G6 Aviator and to make sure, I also tried using a cheap Chinese SW radio from the 1980's and my Patrolman SW-60, nada on shortwave with those as well.

XTS3000

I noticed a few transponders on DirecTV went to "searching for sat signal". Forgot about the CME, and just thought a racoon or cat bumped up against the dish and knocked it out of alignment. Next day I checked the transponders and signal was back within normal range.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This is probably not even close to being related, but a pedestal transformer in my neighborhood 86'd itself the other night badly enough that it required complete replacement.

Just ignore the fact that it was over 25 years old. Yeah, the solar storm got it. Yeah, that's it. And the other 9 in the community were unaffected. :)

NESN

Is this Solar Storm affecting CB in any way? It seems like all of a sudden I have alot of "white noise" and my recieve sensitivity seems to be down. All connections and equipment cleaned and checked. I'm in NJ, by the way. If so, how long is this forecasted to last?

Status
Not open for further replies.