Solderable power plug pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

w6ayt

Has anyone noticed that radio shack has discontinued the power plug that you can solder up to make your own cords with?? The only that the shack close to me has are the adaptaplug versions. By the time you buy the $6.99 plug and the $4.99 gizmo it plugs into, You have $12.00 invested. The older plugs that came 2 to a package were $1.99. What asavings Huh?? According to the what's in the box lists, there is NO dc cord in the box>>>

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Has anyone noticed that radio shack has discontinued the power plug that you can solder up to make your own cords with?? The only that the shack close to me has are the adaptaplug versions. By the time you buy the $6.99 plug and the $4.99 gizmo it plugs into, You have $12.00 invested. The older plugs that came 2 to a package were $1.99. What asavings Huh?? According to the what's in the box lists, there is NO dc cord in the box>>>

274-1532 - $3.19 - 4.0x1.7mm Coaxial DC Power Plug (2-Pack), though not sure about the barrel length

ampulman

My Uniden (396T) power supply cord developed an 'open' in the flexible portion of the connector.

Went to a RS store where I happened to be. Asked the clerk to direct me to 'coaxial connectors' as they are called in their catalog. He pointed to the coaxial cable. I promptly left.

Went to my regular store. Asked the clerk. Directed me to a 'drawer'. Found an exact match.

Soldering was a little tricky, but it works just fine. Cost: around $2 - 3 for 2. What is that $4.99 gizmo you speak of?

Amp

Last edited:

jackj

It seems that Radio Shack is getting out of the parts business. I guess some bean counter somewhere figures that 20% profit on a radio is better than 250% profit on a transistor. A lot of the small electronic parts I used to buy are no longer available at my local Shack. It's a shame too because buying parts on-line is expensive plus you have to wait 8 to 10 days unless you want to pay for over night shipping.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
It seems that Radio Shack is getting out of the parts business. I guess some bean counter somewhere figures that 20% profit on a radio is better than 250% profit on a transistor. A lot of the small electronic parts I used to buy are no longer available at my local Shack. It's a shame too because buying parts on-line is expensive plus you have to wait 8 to 10 days unless you want to pay for over night shipping.

Guess you did not read my post from the 30th QUOTE" 274-1532 - $3.19 - 4.0x1.7mm Coaxial DC Power Plug (2-Pack), though not sure about the barrel length"

jackj

Yes

Guess you did not read my post from the 30th QUOTE" 274-1532 - $3.19 - 4.0x1.7mm Coaxial DC Power Plug (2-Pack), though not sure about the barrel length"
I saw your post. When was the last time you bought a transistor, resister or disk capacitor at a smaller shack? All of the ones in my neighborhood have stopped stocking them. Yes, I can order them from their catalog, maybe, but what's the difference between that and ordering them from some parts jobber in New York?

w6ayt

I also saw your post. If you look at the scanner that the plug you described fits, I think you will find that plug will fit a pro-164 handheld. I'm talking about the pro-163. I did find a source for some solderable plugs. Surprisingly It was just 50 miles up the road from me. I bought all (4) that he had. A place called Bentronics. (Bentronics, Answer to your Electronic Needs)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Moderator; It looks like this has been seen by as many as want to see it. Could you delete it for me ?
We do not delete threads without a good reason. Ignore it and it will sink in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.