• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Soldering fuse holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
3M #2212 sold by DX Engineering and others this sort of application.

Good luck getting it off. (A feature)

It’s not the only choice, potentially. Use as default per spec in comparisons.

I use that on coaxial connections where running a heat gun isn't possible (top of a tower, etc).
For the DC connections, the marine grade heat shrink is easier and makes for a less bulky connection. Some of the DC power plants as well as the master ground busses get pretty full, so having a big wad of mastic isn't something we want to do.
For one connection, it's fine.

slowmover

Those hydraulic crimpers are pretty nice. You just need to be 100% sure that the dies really are the size they claim to be. Some of them being sold are metic sizes and they've just stamped the nearest AWG size on them. Fine for hobby use, but it won't cut it when you start pulling a few hundred amps through the crimps.

I have a contractor that does some of my big installs for me. He has a really high end hexagon crimper that will do all the way up into the MCM size cable range. He's done 350MCM size crimps for me on our big battery systems. I think when he bought the tool back in the early 1990's, it was somewhere north of $5,000.

For most of what I do at work, up to 0000 is good enough. So I have two sets of crimpers that will do everything from 8 gauge up to 0000.
At home, I have the Thomas and Betts crimpers that do 8, 6, 4 and 2 gauge, which is plenty for me.
My good ones at work even stamp the crimp size on the lug, so theoretically they can be inspected after installation. I do the inspections, so I'm good with it.

There's good deals on the used market. Truth is, the manual crimpers really have little that can go wrong with them. Getting an old rusty pair and disassembling and cleaning will be a good investment. The last set I bought needed some TLC, but I've more than received my money back on the investment.

Sometimes you'll hear people try to discourage crimping and suggest soldering is the only way to go. Usually it's old hams doing this.
Soldering is fine if you can get everything hot enough. That can be difficult to do on larger cable/lugs. If you don't do it right, you can end up with cold solder joints that will fail. The other issue is that the solder will wick down the strands and make the cable really stiff right near the connection. That usually leads to failure in an environment where there is vibration. I've been told that aircraft installations do not permit soldering due to this issue.
A good exercise is to do a proper crimp on a piece of scrap cable, and then saw it open and inspect the inside. If done correctly, you'll have what they call a "gas tight" connection. In other words, the crimp is so tight, it's gas tight, as in no moist air can get inside and corrode it. It's considered a form of welding. The fine strands of the conductor all look like one, and you shouldn't be able to see the transition between the conductor and the lug.
The No-Ox-Id is handy since it fills in any potential gaps. When everything is crimped and torqued correctly, the No-Ox-Id will fill voids, but get pressed out of any metal to metal connections. It'll prevent corrosion and give you a trouble free joint. I do it on all our DC power stuff, as well as all the ground bonds.
I've never had one fail.
The adhesive lined heat shrink will seal everything from the outside. It serves the purpose of sealing the insulation to lug connection. It also makes the connection look really professional and provides some level of strain relief.
Some of my equipment is pretty close to the ocean, so taking these steps is pretty important.

They’re a minimal quality sufficient to the need, IMO. I usually run two dies to final size.

A hard tug that’d not dislodge soldered the test.

My use is under 70A in mobile

I’ll take your advice about used pro tools. Thanks.

The hydraulic made it easy to run up 30-40 RF bonds where critical spec not in use. IOW, a decent starter tool not later abandoned.

slowmover

I use that on coaxial connections where running a heat gun isn't possible (top of a tower, etc).
For the DC connections, the marine grade heat shrink is easier and makes for a less bulky connection. Some of the DC power plants as well as the master ground busses get pretty full, so having a big wad of mastic isn't something we want to do.
For one connection, it's fine.

I should have been specific. After all other goodies are done cover the screw head, etc with this and use heat gun to soften. Smush it good

Then spray with clear.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and advice. The Selterm terminals, adhesive lined heat shrink and no-ox-id should be here today. I will take a close look at the crimper suggested by @slowmover and also take a look at what can be found on ebay. I'll try to take pictures and post them as i go along

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Been looking at the crimpers on Amazon. I saw the suggested by @slomover. One of the reviewer said that you had to be careful because the crimps are a bit difficult to align properly and could end up with uneven crimps. Also the dies are in metric.

I was looking at this one

Crimp

What do you think of it ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like the crimp dies are designed for wire rope sizes. Looking at some of the reviews, it requires stepping up one gauge size for copper wire.

If all you are doing is #6 and don't plan on doing this as a career thing, a set of hand held crimpers will do what you want. Hydraulic crimpers just aren't necessary for this size wire. I do up to 0000 gauge with long handle manual crimpers.

But on the flip side, you need to do it right, but no one is going to come and inspect this. If you crimp them right, even with a less than ideal tool, you'll probably be just fine. Have a few spare lugs and practice first. If you can't pull the wire out of the lug, you're probably OK.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the crimp dies are designed for wire rope sizes. Looking at some of the reviews, it requires stepping up one gauge size for copper wire.

If all you are doing is #6 and don't plan on doing this as a career thing, a set of hand held crimpers will do what you want. Hydraulic crimpers just aren't necessary for this size wire. I do up to 0000 gauge with long handle manual crimpers.

But on the flip side, you need to do it right, but no one is going to come and inspect this. If you crimp them right, even with a less than ideal tool, you'll probably be just fine. Have a few spare lugs and practice first. If you can't pull the wire out of the lug, you're probably OK.

I will definitely not be making a living out of it. This is a one time job. I don't think i need a professional tool just one that will make the job done properly. I will try to go to my local hardware store tomorrow and see what they have.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Just received my WT115 yesterday and tried it this morning. The tool is in very good condition and works well. Should be able to assemble everything together real soon.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Well, with all the help, suggestion/advice i have received here i'm happy to report that my project is completed. My 9700 as been running on the battery for about 2 hours now. I still have a few tests to do but i'm confident that all will be fine. I think i will add my 8600 to the mix

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
So as of this morning the battery was 79% full after powering my 9700 for a bit more than 48 hours. This morning i decided to test the battery charger. I think there is something wrong. I plugged the charger in the wall outlet, i could hear the fan cycling on a regular interval. I could measure 14.6 volt at the output of the charger and is what it's suppose to be and i could see that the charger was getting warm so i though that it was all good. The thing is on the battery monitor display the value for the % charge/discharge does not go up and the Ah value dos not go up either.

The charger is still plugged in the wall outlet, but i no longer hear the fan but i still can measure 14.6 volt at the output of the charger. The charger is not as warm. My meter cannot measure currents over 10 Amps so i cant mesure the current at the output of the charger (30A)

I don't know how much time it should have taken to go from 79% full to 100% full.

At this point i think that:

1- The charger is not functioning
2- The battery is 100% charged but for some reason the battery monitor is not showing it.

Any ideas or troubleshooting tips ?

Many thanks
De VA2FCS

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Disconnect everything from the battery, let it sit for an hour, measure its voltage.

Ok, i disconnected the battery from everything and measured 13.35 Volts. After an hour it is still 13.35 volts. I reconnected the monitoring unit and it still says that the battery is charged at 78%, 13.5 volts and 98.8 Ah

slicerwizard

Hm, then it's about 90% charged. Should have a resting voltage of 13.6 at full charge. Is the battery charger made for that particular battery chemistry?

Status
Not open for further replies.