• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Soldering Ni-cads Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbertram

57Bill said:
What is the secret to getting rosin core solder to stick to a ni-cad battery terminal?

It is unlikely you will ever be able to form a good, reliable, solder connection to the battery shell of a NiCd battery. The material of the case is incompatible with Sn/Pb solder, and I believe with any of the substitutes for Sn/Pb.

I have gotten around this by buying NiCd batteries with welded solder tabs on them. RS used to carry/sell them. I don't know if they still do.

rbm

If you can use NiMH batteries for your application, try these. I've used them and they worked well. Much better than Nicads.

MAHA AA - 2000 mAh NiMH ( Nickel Metal Hydride ) Rechargeable Batteries with Solder Tabs
http://www.nimhbattery.com/maha-tab-batteries.htm

I've soldered Nicads in the past (a long time in the past).
File off the plating, use extra flux, and use a very hot, big soldering iron very briefly.
Rich

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Scratch the ends of the cells with a screwdriver. Use a hot iron (15 to 30 watts is plenty) and quickly tin one end. Only one or two seconds of contact should be required. Let the cell cool before tinning the other end (work on the next cell while you're waiting). Pre-tin the connecting wires. Attach them quickly with a hot iron.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I have always heard that one should never solder batterys together. Because of this I use battery holders.
icon3.gif

57Bill

Thanks, guys!
I have a battery shop nearby (they sell all kinds of batterys) that has some kind of a welder they use to join Nicads together (for a fee). Does anyone know if a "consumer version" of such a device exists? How about that "cold solder" device I saw advertised on TV?
Bill57

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
your best bet, go somewhere like Interstate battery or something you might have like it, i dd for my htx 202, and they had nicads and nimh battersy and they put the tabs on them, like you would from the factory for free since i was buying the batterys/ nice professional job....

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I've soldered rechargable batteries together for years. I would always use plenty of flux and roughen up the area I was going to solder with a file or crocus cloth.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.