Solution to RR Alerts on Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

I think I may have an idea to solve the question of doing alerts on Twitter for RR. The answer would be for the @RR_LiveAudio for Major Alerts, but then also expand it by creating a Twitter List. Basically the list would include various twitter feeds that other users have created, or will create.

As in example in Utah they have a UtahAlerts feed with multiple persons contributing ( UtahAlerts (UtahAlerts) on Twitter ) feeds like that could be added to by the administrator of the RR_LiveAudio twitter feed but the alerts themselves taken care of on a local level.

The reason this could work well is that those that do not want to view many updates could just follow the @RR_LiveAudio feed that posts only major events. Other could then follow the alert list twitter/RR_Audio/Alerts or whatever it is set up as. The list could easily be expanded, or have areas removed that no longer post. It also allows the local groups to decide how they will do the alerts; single person, geoup, or other options.

One last thing this will allow is kinda a central list of scanner alert feeds nationwide that you could individually follow if you do not want to see the entire list. Even if you are not registered with twitter I believe that you can view a list.

Hopefully this all makes sense to everyone. Feel free to ask questions, or post links to Twitter based scanner alerts you may already know of that would be good on such a list.

Utah_Viper

I would think just using a hashtag would be an easier option. If people would send an alert and add #RR_Alerts to the text portion of their message, anyone that has a search option in a program like tweetdeck would easily see the alert.

For more information on how to use hashtags on twitter go to HOW TO: Get the Most Out of Twitter #Hashtags

I have been following the hashtag for three days with no updates.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I think it's something that needs to be implemented before you'll see results.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I think it's something that the live audio admin's need to buy into, and at that point it can be passed along to the users?

scantopeka

I think the list idea is a good one if it is promoted maybe by an announcement on the regular RR_Alerts Twitter channel. If enough people buy in and start posting alerts it could take off. I don't think these two ideas are competing ideas, both could be implemented at the same time.

There are two limitations I see with the hashtag idea. The big one is the lack of text alerts. Right now I follow RR_Alerts and I have the alerts sent by SMS to my cell so even if I am no sitting at my computer watching Tweetdeck I get the alert. With a hashtag search that is not possible. The other problem I see is the possibility of spam being sent with that hashtag but that may be a problem with the list idea as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.