Some beginner's antenna questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingzogofalbania

Premium Subscriber
I have just purchased a GRE PSR800.
Is the antenna that came with it not good enough?
If I need to buy an additional one(s) ... what type(s) should I be inquiring about?
I am mostly interested in police, ambulances and fire depts, etc. Also listening to planes talking to control towers.
Thanks for your patience.

Cruiseomatic

If it has a BNC connector, The 800 MHZ "rubber duckie" that RS sells works very well. I use one on my PRO-164 in my wrecker and that thing sees ALOT of abuse. Still receives everything under the sun and past it.

LtDoc

Is it 'good enough'? Beats me, is it doing what you expected, and are your expectations realistic? Any 'rubberduck' antenna is for convenience, not performance. There will always be something that works 'better', but is it very practical for how you are using that radio?
- 'Doc

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I have just purchased a GRE PSR800.
Is the antenna that came with it not good enough?
If I need to buy an additional one(s) ... what type(s) should I be inquiring about?
I am mostly interested in police, ambulances and fire depts, etc. Also listening to planes talking to control towers.
Thanks for your patience.

First you've got to get the signal out of the air and to the scanner's receiver. More is better. Give me a rock and roll antenna system and a cheap receiver over a super receiver on a coat hanger every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.