Some day all systems will be encrypted then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzyscanner

Systems around my area are already becoming encrypted. Some day all systems will be encrypted then what, we won't be able to scan legally anymore. What would happen to RR.com?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Do you think small private radio systems can afford to encrypt when there is no reason they should? One day maybe all Public Service communications MIGHT (huge IF there), be encrypted but that doesn't meen there is nothing to listen to...

I don't even believe that all LE agencies want encryption...

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
But I hear of all these robbery's and most of them have scanners. LE are going to something about it.

But the point still remains that IF law enforcement decides to encrypt everything that there won't be anything to listen to...

Ever venture off the PS bands much...? Come to the dark side Luke...

pro961

Robbers with scanners

Are you saying most of the robbers in your area have scanners? How do you know? Are they being caught with them?

DPD1

Anything law enforcement related may one day be mostly encrypted. But that day is a long way off. Longer than a lot of us will be around. Other than that, I think the majority of stuff will stay open.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Systems around my area are already becoming encrypted. Some day all systems will be encrypted then what, we won't be able to scan legally anymore. What would happen to RR.com?

due to interoperability between agencies, there will always be some talk groups in the clear. but i think it would be a long long time before we see all (if ever) go encrypted.

lugoffman

But I hear of all these robbery's and most of them have scanners. LE are going to something about it.

Well in this case I think the budget committee for the community will see that passing a law to band them and apply stiff punishment's would be easier than spending a million dollars to upgrade. So then you would just simply have to hide your equipment if they ever come to your home for anything , but then you would still be breaking the law !!

lugoffman

Ya I do but don't you think the cops are the most exciting to listen to? I sure do.

When I first started to scan I thought the same thing then I started to scan Milair thats awesome !!!!! heck with the crime monitoring , listen to this cool stuff will make you buy more and more scanners to enjoy it better then you are hooked like me Lol !!!!!

hoser147

I got some good news on that front last week my local police chief told me that he is getting the min. of 2 portables for interops and they are staying with VHF as they just bought all new radio's less than a year ago. I agree with the poster that stated it would be along way off. Most of the LEOs I know have scanners at home, they and their family listen to while they are at work. So hopefully it will stay that way for a long time.............Hoser

Last edited:

gd9704

If it happens then it happens. It will suck. We'll all find something else to do.

When trunking came into being my old scanner was less fun to listen to. Then my area went digital. Now it was a paperweight.

I found other things to do.

Now digital trunking scanners are here and I'm back listening to my local law enforcement and loving it.

If they go encrypted, again, it will suck. Who knows what the future will bring.

PLEASE, ENOUGH WITH THE "WHAT IF" ENCRYPTION THREADS!!!!!

JnglMassiv

Do you think small private radio systems can afford to encrypt when there is no reason they should? One day maybe all Public Service communications MIGHT (huge IF there), be encrypted but that doesn't meen there is nothing to listen to...

I don't even believe that all LE agencies want encryption...
The cost of strong encryption is becoming ridiculously cheap. I loosely fleshed out my thougths here but suffice to say that there will be a day when enabling encryption on a radio system will be as easy as setting up WEP or WPA security on your WiFi network. It's not difficult to imagine a high profile horror story of a crook foiling police (or maybe taking a few out) with the help of a radio. Imagine the media aftermath. After this happens, PD's around the nation will feel that to not encrypt will be the irresponsible choice.

sirsmiley

I;m wondering if one day they will go to a voip system/cell system for everything. I know they like to have multiple frequencies/talk groups so i dont know if this will happen but down in toronto i think one of the departments use mike push to talk system? I've seen a huge group of them doing training and they have a telus system i think. I can see this being plausible for undercover and things like that where you dont tie up a radio frequency doing surveillance (which is constant radio traffic when things start happening) but for everything else i think a radio is better.

Now with a radio you have towers to contend with and lease/maintain, whereas a cell based system can be just as secure, cant be scanned and you dont pay for those towers! (although you pay monthly fees which pays someone else for cells, however your range is increased to basically anywhere in the country)

CrabbyMilton

There will always be something to monitor even if it's not public safety. Use your imaganination and you'll find something. Even if your idea came to pass many years from now, there are countless websites devoted to anything to can think of and then some.

ecps92

Why worry about tommorrow and the future, use what you have today.

Also, as we move into Software Defined Radios, Encryption might be a thing of the Past [Lets Hope]
and might include newer options/technology we never thought of.

Until that day arrives, I continue to Scan, Search and Find

Status
Not open for further replies.