Some Do & Some Don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I heard that fire departments still maintain their analog VHF & UHF tone out, paging & alert frequencies because they don't work on the 800 MHz trunked systems, however I noticed whole county, town & city dispatch systems have all their communications systems on their trunked networks & some of the VHF & UHF frequencies in the database say that the old frequencies are "deprecated". Does this mean that these departments are using equipment that are able to tone out, alert & page on their new trunked systems?

reedeb

Sometimes it takes a bit longer to purchase new pagers for every person on the department. Untill they get them all and set up they remain on their original tone out frequency.

Pager.gif

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I heard that fire departments still maintain their analog VHF & UHF tone out, paging & alert frequencies because they don't work on the 800 MHz trunked systems, however I noticed whole county, town & city dispatch systems have all their communications systems on their trunked networks & some of the VHF & UHF frequencies in the database say that the old frequencies are "deprecated". Does this mean that these departments are using equipment that are able to tone out, alert & page on their new trunked systems?

They work on trunked and 800 systems just fine. They do not work well on digital systems.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Edmonton Fire Rescue Services uses automated voice dispatching. This is heard on the station speakers and on their radios. They have two separate tone sounds - one for fire calls and one for medical calls. The voice is very good a pronouncing words. I haven't the slightest idea on how much the system costs since it's with the entire city radio system. I do know that the voice is from Locution Systems.

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

you cannot reliably page on a trunked radio system. the pager would not be able to follow the conversation.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
They do, because the system can be set up to only send the tones on one frequency (which also happens to be the frequency in the pager).

Not doubting you, but I've yet to see any fire/EMS department use 800MHz for two-tone sequential paging, and I live in a state that has a LOT of 800MHz systems. Which ones do you know of?

aconway

Most 99% of fire departments that are on 800 Mhz digital use a VHF or UHF paging frequency. This is because digital trunking is not supported with tone paging. So what happens is a tone out is done on the VHF or UHF Analog and it is usually simulcast on the digital system.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Most 99% of fire departments that are on 800 Mhz digital use a VHF or UHF paging frequency. This is because digital trunking is not supported with tone paging. So what happens is a tone out is done on the VHF or UHF Analog and it is usually simulcast on the digital system.

Exactly, every system I've monitored in VA is like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.