Some Ham Radio related questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I would like to know what freqs the ISS use's for ham radio contacts? Can you talk to them anytime you want if your talking to a ISS ham radio operator or do you have to wait for special dates to do that?

Another question,is it possible to talk to the US military using ham radios? I read in a Gordon West ham radio study book that you can use your ham radio to transmit on your freqs and use another radio to receive them talking on their freqs? I think its called Armed Forces day communications test.

Thanks.

KK4DAN

Well for the ISS, you can get some of that info here. - NASA Human Space Flight Gallery and here - Amateur Radio on the International Space Station

You'll see there is a different uplink and downlink voice frequencies. As far as when, the ISS is only in range of your particular location for short periods of time and I'm pretty sure you have to have it planned ahead and coordinated with them for the contact. We looked at this with our club and they wanted it to be incorporated into a school learning event. There were a lot of restrictions or requirements too that you had to meet. As far as I know its still in the works for next spring some time.

I would imagine there might be some specific dates set aside when they might open it up for the ISS just makes general ham contacts, but I didn't read all those links to see for sure.

K9WG

Another question,is it possible to talk to the US military using ham radios? I read in a Gordon West ham radio study book that you can use your ham radio to transmit on your freqs and use another radio to receive them talking on their freqs? I think its called Armed Forces day communications test.

Thanks.

This is from last year but the information is still correct. Annual Armed Forces Day Crossband Test Scheduled for May 14 73 de K9WG

Status
Not open for further replies.