Some Interesting info About The SRRCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I was doing some web surfing today and came across "The 2007 California Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan".

In it a found what I thought was some interesting info about the SRRCS. Some of this I already knew and some I did not.

The Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS)

System Overview
The Sacramento Regional Communications System is an 800 MHz trunked Motorola 4.1 hybrid analog/digital system that has been operational since 1995. It provides governmental entities in the greater Sacramento Region with voice radio services. It serves all levels of government including city, county, state, Federal, and service districts. There are currently over 14,000 radios operating on the system. Approximately 12,500 radios belong to primary users, while the remaining 1,500 are assigned to secondary users.

As mentioned, users are classified as primary and secondary users. Simply stated, primary users are those entities that utilize the system for primary dispatch services and communications. Secondary users have their own radio system for dispatch, but have SRRCS radios for mutual aid and interoperability purposes.

Virtually all public safety first responders (i.e., fire, law enforcement, EMS) within the physical boundary of Sacramento County use the system for primary dispatch, with the exception of Galt Police Department and Isleton Police Department. It is expected that the City of Galt will become a primary user when a radio site is constructed within the city limits. The Isleton City Police Department, because of its location, is dispatched by the Solano County Sheriff’s Department (E911 services). However, Isleton Police Department has 800 MHz. radios purchased with a Federal grant allowing interoperability with other surrounding public safety agencies. In addition, the City of West Sacramento (Yolo County) is a primary member of SRRCS. The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District also serves portions of southern Placer County.

The Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS) currently uses seven physical sites to provide public safety radio communications throughout over 1,100 square miles in Sacramento County and parts of Placer and Yolo Counties, including the following regions:

Main Jail – Downtown
Gibson Ranch – North
Carpenter Peak – Northeast
Sheriff’s South Station – Southeast
Walnut Grove – South
Brighton Heights – Central (prime site)
Freeport Water Tower – West

In addition, four new sites are now in the planning stages:

City of Citrus Heights – North Central
City of Galt – South Central
Community of Rancho Murietta – East
Sacramento North Corp Yard – Northwest

Public safety agencies within SRRCS share talkgroups with other public safety agencies within SRRCS. For example, a Sacramento Sheriff’s Department radio has, in addition to its own talkgroups, the talkgroups of other law enforcement, fire, and EMS agencies in SRRCS. Hence, a sheriff’s unit can communicate directly with any other police, fire, or EMS agency or unit within the system by simply changing to the proper talkgroup. Talkgroup exchanges have also been established with 800 MHz agencies outside of SRRCS (i.e., Davis P.D./Fire – Yolo County, Roseville P.D./Fire – Placer County, Cal-Expo P.D. – State of California).

For added interoperability, all radios operational on the SRRCS system must have the eight county and the eight city tactical talkgroups known as COTAC1-COTAC8 and CYTAC1-CYTAC8. These talkgroups allow for agencies that may not have each other’s talkgroups to communicate in times of need, for example, when Regional Transit and the Sheriff’s Department are coordinating an evacuation using buses.

SRRCS currently has four 800 MHz conventional repeaters programmed for the State of California mutual aid channels and one repeater programmed for a Federal mutual aid channel. The state FIREMARS 1 and CLEMARS 9 channels are located at the Carpenter Peak site along with the federal I-CALL channel. FIREMARS 2 and CLEMARS 21 are at the Brighton Heights site. Under the 2007 COPS grant, SRRCS was granted funding to add eight additional conventional repeaters to support other interoperable/mutual aid conventional 800 MHz ITAC channels.

There are currently three mobile gateways and two fixed gateways available in the Sacramento region that are programmed for SRRCS public safety talkgroups. The City of Folsom, an SRRCS member, maintains a mobile communications unit obtained through a Federal grant. It has four dispatch positions and 32 radios (low-VHF, high-VHF, UHF, T-Band, 800 MHz) that utilize a Sytec Rios gateway. The Yolo County Sheriff’s Department has a smaller version also utilizing a Sytec Rios gateway. The Placer County Sheriffs Department deploys a Raytheon ACU-1000 mobile gateway on its Search and Rescue vehicle.

A fixed gateway owned by CHP is installed at the Resources Building and uses a Raytheon ACU-1000. This gateway ties the CHP VHF-low and UHF channels used at the Capitol with the talkgroups. The second fixed gateway is at the City of Galt Police Department. Since the Galt Police Department is currently the only local law enforcement entity employing the UHF band in Sacramento County, a small gateway was installed utilizing UASI funds to allow interoperability with SRRCS public safety agencies until such time as the Department can move to the 800 MHz SRRCS.

In addition to the eight 800 MHz conventional mutual aid repeaters funded under the 2007 COPS grant, funding was granted for other interoperability projects that should be installed and operational by the second quarter 2008. These projects include the following:

Two COWS (Cellular-on-Wheels) 800 MHz transportable trunked sites
VHF Low-band CLEMARS Repeater / CHPInterface to 800 MHz

Participants on the SRRCS include 30 primary and 53 secondary participants, totaling 83 member agencies.

kma371

QRT
Good info, I wish San Joaquin County would get on the ball with something like that. It's all flat here, trunking would be a BREEZE!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Good info, I wish San Joaquin County would get on the ball with something like that. It's all flat here, trunking would be a BREEZE!
I don't wish that. I hate trunking systems. I think conventional UHF is a great place. It sounds clean and covers the county very well (at least I pick them up here clearly).

Sacramento is just as flat as San Joaquin. Look at all the sites Sacramento has to have to get good coverage, and I'll bet there still are dead spots.

kma371

QRT
I don't wish that. I hate trunking systems. I think conventional UHF is a great place. It sounds clean and covers the county very well (at least I pick them up here clearly).

Sacramento is just as flat as San Joaquin. Look at all the sites Sacramento has to have to get good coverage, and I'll bet there still are dead spots.

Well, Interop for one thing is helpful. Our fire is on VHF while everything else is on UHF.

But trunking here wouldn't happen anyway. Everyone is going P25 UHF sooner or later, already have 4 agencies make the switch.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
San Joaquin County

Well, Interop for one thing is helpful. Our fire is on VHF while everything else is on UHF.
Interop is best done with conventional frequencies, not a trunked radio system.

While county fire might be VHF, Stockton city fire is UHF.

But trunking here wouldn't happen anyway. Everyone is going P25 UHF sooner or later, already have 4 agencies make the switch.
Four law enforcement agencies have, but fire in those areas has not.

akulahawk

Of those towers in the "planning" stages, the Rancho Murieta site is supposedly up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.