Some LE Agencies give out the "good" stuff a lot, while others are quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Alright, let me explain what the heck the title means.

Basically, I live in Cambria County, PA, and I've scanned Cambria County and various other counties next door like Somerset, Indiana, Bedford, etc. I've also listened in the NYPD online and when I was in NYC. I've even listed to some stuff in Atlantic City, NJ, but most police there except Beach Patrol seem to use ProVoice.

Anyway, all of those systems, I'm not used to hearing really anything that could be considered information. I mean, for example, in PA, they don't even seem to say drugs, just "Possible Act 64 activity" and all you really ever hear is the officer being dispatched than nothing about what happened when they got there or really after.

But I've been listening to various areas of California lately, and it's like completely different. I've listened to San Diego, Sacramento, some LAPD, and some other areas, I forget right now.

On the CA scanners, I'm hearing almost complete criminal backgrounds, officers saying a guy dropped powered cocaine, I heard officers say they are staking out some narcotics suspects, and sometimes even officers laughing at stuff.

I guess, it's really no big deal, but I'm using to the East Coast scanners, which seem to more or less not use their radios as much as what I hear from CA. Does it have something to do with PA laws or something? Or is it just that CA agencies, are just more open?

I'm just a tad bit shocked, because in my city, you can't even hear the CERT Team and if anyone does stake-outs, you can't really know unless maybe you witness it, yet, I'm listening to CA scanners, and I'm hearing officers discuss them and sometimes I swear, it's as if they are basically giving up their staking location. Today, I heard a Narcotics team say that they have some suspects heading south on such and such street.

Maybe CA feels most criminals would never ever have a trunking scanner and if they did, they wouldn't know how to program it. Who knows.

I know this thread may sound silly to some, but I'm serious, I'm not used to encountering police radios that are so open, and it's like they are not afraid to joke at times. Many CA radio systems seem to be way different then those in NYC and areas around me in PA. Even Pittsburgh doesn't really seem to say all of that "good" of stuff, in my opinion.

I even once heard on a narcotics that a guy just dropped of his contact and they've got some good "intel." Maybe I'm from a different world, but it seems like this is maybe something you wouldn't want to say on the radio.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting anyone at all listen just because they want to hear stakeouts and stuff and especially not if you want to further a crime with the info. My point is that, I'm just amazed with encryption and scramblers, that you ever hear stake-outs anymore and I'm defiantly not used to them in any close area to me.

Last edited:

SCANMUNCIE

I think it had alot to do with the agencys or department policys, I have worked as a LEO for a very small town PD, to a middle size city, to a very large metro area ..

It was different with each agency.

1. We could only mark in and out of service and take dispatched runs, everything else had to be done via the computer no exceptions.. If could get info my computer then had to call via telephone to communications.

2. Another we did everything over the radio LEO job related, including unrelated job stuff.. ex: midnight shift supervisor would tell jokes on the radios in addition to dispatch giving the officers fast food orders over the radio and the leo would go get it and bring it to dispatch .. ( ex: I want Mcdonalds cheese burger with extra cheese .. etc. etc. ) This agency everything was done over the radio including sensitive information.

3. Another we took dispatched runs, marked in and out of service via the radios , self created runs/incidents and ran plates / people via radio if we was out of the car and/or could not get a return on the computer. Special or details information that they didn't want broadcast would be sent via the computer.. In addition some stuff was done via Nextel 2way.

So in summary I think it all had to do with the agency..

BoxAlarm187

Red, it doesn't sound like you're hearing anything in CA that I wouldn't hear day to day down here below the Mason-Dixon line. While a handful of the covert channels are encrypted, for the most part, you get to hear everything.

MDT's do have a slight to moderate impact on some of the amount of the radio traffic you may or may not be hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.