some one please explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambill1

on one of the fire dispatch frequancies it has a pl tone of 203.5 and also 71.9. I here stuff on the 71.9 tone but the other is so staticy like.. but if I put the pl tone to search it also comes up with other tones that are clear. and on the various tones the volume can either be hi or low depending on the tone. Basically why all of the different tones?

Thanks for any info.

w2xq

Mentor
I don't know where you are, but you might have different fire departments sharing one frequency and using PL tones to differentiate departments. Around here, 154.4300 is used by both Camden and Mercer counties' fire/EMS but different PLs. The RR db should give you the answers.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
on one of the fire dispatch frequancies it has a pl tone of 203.5 and also 71.9. I here stuff on the 71.9 tone but the other is so staticy like.. but if I put the pl tone to search it also comes up with other tones that are clear. and on the various tones the volume can either be hi or low depending on the tone. Basically why all of the different tones?

Thanks for any info.

Hey Gambill

You wouldn't happen to be talking about 155.145 in Kanawha Co. would you? I was kind of wondering the same thing myself because I noticed when I would search to find the tone and save it I would miss some transmissions due to the two tones being used. I would have to go with the previous poster on this as it's probably due to all the county municipal depts on one freq. Where I live I can hear the transmissions on the 71.9 tone but not the 203.5.

73s

Chad

N8IAA

Basically why all of the different tones? Thanks for any info.

Because of the lack of VHF frequencies, different tones are used to separate the users. Since your county uses one frequency for Dispatch 1 and Dispatch 2, there are two different tones to separate the areas the dispatches are intended for. The 71.9 PL might be for your area of the county. Or, 203.5 might be. To listen to both dispatches, put the frequency in twice each with their own PL.
HTH,
Larry

gambill1

AB8SN,

yeah it is kanawha county fire.

N8IAA, Yeah I did put both in just to make sure, but sometimes I do get both and sometimes I just get the repeator. Gues I will get it one way or the other. Kanawha fire has been busy the last few days. 4 stations were toned out this morning before I got up at 6am.

gambill1

Both of you have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.