Some (P25) Assistance Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyingPilot

MPSCS Newbie
I tried posting this in the Uniden Tech Forum, but couldn't get the help I needed there, so here I am! I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to digital systems, and I think I'm sabotaging my P25 scanning abilities by not knowing the difference between the P25 "Standard Trunk" and "One-Freq Trunk" when choosing the system type on my 325P2. Help? If it matters, I live in Benzie County.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I tried posting this in the Uniden Tech Forum, but couldn't get the help I needed there, so here I am! I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to digital systems, and I think I'm sabotaging my P25 scanning abilities by not knowing the difference between the P25 "Standard Trunk" and "One-Freq Trunk" when choosing the system type on my 325P2. Help? If it matters, I live in Benzie County.

That is known as cross-posting and is against the Radio Reference rules in case you didn't know.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A "P25 Standard System" is a trunked system having a control channel and multiple voice channels. It is by far the most common of P25 applications.

A "P25 One Frequency" system is a conventional system with all of the "business" being conducted on one frequency. By "business" I mean voice traffic along with some digital burst messaging, such as status messages (I'm on the scene, clear, going off duty) etc.

Programming a P25 Conventional System as a One Frequency Trunk System is a way of displaying Unit Identification information that would not be scene if it was programmed as a "regular" conventional system in a scanner.

I'd say there are relatively few instances where scanner users use One Frequency Programming. I tried it for the Kentucky State Police system and wasn't overly impressed with the results (missed parts of transmissions).

SChuck

When programming my BCD396xt with the Michigan MPSCS system I set system type to "P25 Standard (Digital XT)" and it works when loaded onto scanner.
I guess the best way to tell for sure is to load some test systems into your 325P2 .

It is confusing when Radio Reference Database lists the MPSCS system as Project 25 Phase 1 and you don't have that choice on your scanner. That's why I say trial and error sometimes helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.