• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Some people ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I am listeing to a local Sheriff's Dept. on VHF-High band. They are complaining of "radio problems." And advising dispatch to call the radio shop.

Actually what is happening is called skip. VHF-High is really open this morning. They are saying someone is bleeding over onto their frequency when actually it is someone on their frequency several miles away! I can't beleive they would call the radio shop for skip. lol They are complaining of the radio opening up to static and other talking on their frequency. I would think they would be smarter than that :roll:

They should look into CTCSS/DCS tones for their radios. That was funny to me, lol. :lol:

MacombMonitor

I've often said how it surprises me how little "some" police, and fire personal know about the tool they use every day in their job, and that their lives depend on it.

K0ATC

And you wounder why some of these big companys get away with murder when building these high dollar systems that don't work worth a crap. The municipalities have no idea what they are paying for, and the people they are paying know it. I think what happens is they mount each other, and then 9 months later a disfigured radio system is born. More often then not, premature LOL.

RS

NeFire242

You'd be surprised how many end users don't even know what freq their on, mode, or even what kind of radio they're using!

N

N_Jay

NeFire242 said:
You'd be surprised how many end users don't even know what freq their on, mode, or even what kind of radio they're using!
And they don't need to.

It a tool not a toy!

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Some people just go to work, do their job (sometimes with the least amount of effort as possible), collect their pay check, and go home. I call these slugs. Whereas, others actually get involved, learn about the aspects of their work, learn about their accouterments, take an active roll in improving their work environment, etc.

Most cashiers have no idea what brand the cash register is and what operating system it uses.

There are some cops who carry a gun and only know its brand, model number, and what bullets it takes. Beyond that, they are clueless as to its operation, other than aim and shoot. If it wasn't for the department requiring periodic range qualification, they wouldn't even practice using it. Of course, this is a minority of officers; most take a little more initiative. Just pointing out that there are "slugs" in every profession.

vawildbill

In defense of those involved, just why should they know it was skip coming from another locality. These are not ham radio operators nor are the radio technicans. I also do not think it is exactly fair to compare these people to slugs. They expect their radios to work when they use them. Like someone said, it is just a tool to get their job done. Does everyone who drives a car know exactly how it works and how to fix it when something goes wrong.

jmp883

Vawildbill wrote:

In defense of those involved, just why should they know it was skip coming from another locality. These are not ham radio operators nor are the radio technicans. I also do not think it is exactly fair to compare these people to slugs. They expect their radios to work when they use them. Like someone said, it is just a tool to get their job done. Does everyone who drives a car know exactly how it works and how to fix it when something goes wrong.
Very well said. I've been a dispatcher for 16 years, went to broadcasting school, and have been an all-around radio buff since I knew what a radio was. In the course of my radio hobby I've learned many of the technical aspects of this great world of radio. Has it helped me in doing my job as a dispatcher? No....not really. It is nice when we have radio issues to be able to be fairly certain of what is causing the problem but, like I said before, it doesn't actually help me in dispatching any better.

Knowing the theory/technical side of radio is an asset, but it shouldn't be a requirement unless you're going to be a technician/repairman or engineer. Operators only need to know how to key and unkey the mic, talk correctly into the microphone, and to listen to the speaker in order to do their job.

jeffrey420

vawildbill said:
Just think..... If everyone who drove a car had to know all the workings of it.......

What traffic, the roads would be smooth travel.

I agree with (vawildbill)!

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
vawildbill said:
I agree.

Also, I was not referring to the Sheriff personnel in Arkansas. I was only referring to people at jobs in general. I don't think it was the fault of the users of the radio system. They did exactly what they should; report the problem to the proper personnel or department.

I guess I am a person who wants to know how everything works and am interested in every facet of my job. I don't just come to work to collect a pay check. I do everything I can to make the job better for all involved. I also do everything I can to increase the knowledge of those with whom I work. The problem is, not everyone is as enthusiastic about it as me. This is when I came a point in my life where I realized that there are slackers or "slugs" as I called them. Some actually want to come to work and do the least amount of work as possible - I guess you could call them lazy. There were plenty of them working for the City of Los Angeles and the County of Los Angeles, both by which I was previously employed. The unions/police associations involved do a great job, but they also contribute to this mentality - only do the job you are required, nothing more.

I have actually been told that I could not change a light bulb in my office because I would be taking someone else’s job. The way I see it, if the light needs to be changed, then change it - I don't have time to wait for some other person to get a job order, wait a few days, and then get my light bulb changed...it's just a fricken light bulb! The same went for moving my file cabinet...not my job. Thank God I was in charge of the technology for my unit, otherwise we would have to had waited forever to get our computers, radios, and other tech equipment worked on, moved, installed, etc. (I had authority to work on our equipment before having to call in the techs from the IT Department (as prescribed by the unions)).

Last edited:

VintageJon

Well, this is all good but someone who knows this is skip should advise them of same.
The modulation variations help but there are strange things. Last two days I'm hearing San Antonio PD as MOT on a Pro96 and this service is supposed to be EDACS!

There are only so many freqs in a band so this is bound to happen. Not an easy task as people tend to get glassy-eyed when you talk tech issues and if numbers and math comes up they are even less attentive.

The skip is the skip and no design of man can overcome it. Being a listener, SWL, I can enjoy it but it could be a pain if my life depended on it. You haver no hope of real-time-com with the present system as there are too many possible anomalies.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.