• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Some Phase 2 TDMA programming questions. (APX2000 II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P25andstuff

So I thought I knew what I was doing programming phase 2 tdma but it turns out I don't (I'm Programming CLMRN). So Here are my questions, Do I put all of the control channels for all of the simulcasts in the "Control Channel" Area. Next Im having trouble with figuring out what exactly to put in the "Channel ID" Spot. Now when I go to a trunking personality, I put in the hex for that channel. But It doesn't allow me to create a site or put in RFSS id for a simulcasting site. Also how can I be sure that the radio does no affiliate with the system.

crazyboy

Seriously, just buy a scanner or Unication. It is quite clear you don’t have permission to be on the system, and that you don’t know what you’re doing. Best case scenario your radio becomes a very expensive door stop, but you run a serious risk of rendering a legitimate radio on the system inoperable which could end up in serious injury or death, and you could be facing serious legal issues.

Reconrider

If you can't be bothered to read the manual on how to program it, then don't go on the system. You'll be hit with legal crap because you don't understand anything with programming. Get a scanner - if you want to listen to the whole system with simulcast, get the sds100 or sds200.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
A relm bk will not affiliate and you dont need a system key. It knocks it direct to monitor the system only without a system key.

That or a unication g5 would be ideal.

If you're allowed to be on the system have the administrators set it up to save head aches.

P25andstuff

So I thought I knew what I was doing programming phase 2 tdma but it turns out I don't (I'm Programming CLMRN). So Here are my questions, Do I put all of the control channels for all of the simulcasts in the "Control Channel" Area. Next Im having trouble with figuring out what exactly to put in the "Channel ID" Spot. Now when I go to a trunking personality, I put in the hex for that channel. But It doesn't allow me to create a site or put in RFSS id for a simulcasting site. Also how can I be sure that the radio does no affiliate with the system.
Nevermind nevermind, screw it im done. Just gonna sell it. I've wanted an apx forever but I guess not now.

Reconrider

Nevermind nevermind, screw it im done. Just gonna sell it. I've wanted an apx forever but I guess not now.
Don't give up, just read the manual for programming. I'm not really sure why you'd want to use a radio on the state trunk system though, that seems like the wrongest idea of all time in CT.

P25andstuff

Don't give up, just read the manual for programming. I'm not really sure why you'd want to use a radio on the state trunk system though, that seems like the wrongest idea of all time in CT.
Yeah i've realized that, I'm just throwing conventional channels in it as I love the APX2000. I couldn't get rid of it lol.

Reconrider

Yeah i've realized that, I'm just throwing conventional channels in it as I love the APX2000. I couldn't get rid of it lol.
I've wanted one because they are sexy looking, but I can't justify one when I have no p25 system to talk on lol.
Where in CT are you at?

P25andstuff

Im in the New Hartford area, I would recommend getting one, just the one knob is a bit annoying.

Reconrider

Im in the New Hartford area, I would recommend getting one, just the one knob is a bit annoying.
Most radios have one knob. I'm not close but I've always wanted to play with one.
I'd love to get one - just the money is to much. Maybe I'll look into a used one.

K2NEC

Most radios have one knob. I'm not close but I've always wanted to play with one.
I'd love to get one - just the money is to much. Maybe I'll look into a used one.
I don't recommend the 1 knob radio for NAS

clbsquared

While I agree with the first part of your comment, it's not quite as simple as "reading the manual" to program an APX to a Phase 2 system for NAS. Unless you have a decent understanding of Motorola CPS in general, starting with APX CPS is going to be a tough road to go down. There are a lot of nuances that come with programming a trunked system. I'm not aware of programming instructions being included with APX radios. Or any Motorola radio for that matter. Yes, there is plenty of info floating around the web on how to do it. Even a few YouTube videos. Using the CPS Help Menu would be a place to go as well. But, for the beginner that wants to use the "back door" method of monitoring a trunked system, the APX is not the place to start. If you make the WRONG mistake, you could very well jeopardize a legit user on the system. Or, you could end up with a fancy brick and a knock on your door with a lot of questions that you probably do not want to answer.

P25andstuff

While I agree with the first part of your comment, it's not quite as simple as "reading the manual" to program an APX to a Phase 2 system for NAS. Unless you have a decent understanding of Motorola CPS in general, starting with APX CPS is going to be a tough road to go down. There are a lot of nuances that come with programming a trunked system. I'm not aware of programming instructions being included with APX radios. Or any Motorola radio for that matter. Yes, there is plenty of info floating around the web on how to do it. Even a few YouTube videos. Using the CPS Help Menu would be a place to go as well. But, for the beginner that wants to use the "back door" method of monitoring a trunked system, the APX is not the place to start. If you make the WRONG mistake, you could very well jeopardize a legit user on the system. Or, you could end up with a fancy brick and a knock on your door with a lot of questions that you probably do not want to answer.
Yep Ive realized that, well I decided to keep is because I love the radio. I have it monitoring conventional channels right now.
But I have one serious question that I can't find the answer to anywhere even in the CPS (Unless its very well hidden). The volume to my radio is stuck at 6 no matter how much I turn the nob it stays on 6, I even made the conventional personalities to "Loud Audio." What am I missing here and how can I get the volume knob to work?
Im also having the same issue with my channel Knob I can only go 2 channels at the time with the knob, and I have to go to the keypad to change channels anymore than two. How can I fix this?

clbsquared

Yep Ive realized that, well I decided to keep is because I love the radio. I have it monitoring conventional channels right now.
But I have one serious question that I can't find the answer to anywhere even in the CPS (Unless its very well hidden). The volume to my radio is stuck at 6 no matter how much I turn the nob it stays on 6, I even made the conventional personalities to "Loud Audio." What am I missing here and how can I get the volume knob to work?
Im also having the same issue with my channel Knob I can only go 2 channels at the time with the knob, and I have to go to the keypad to change channels anymore than two. How can I fix this?

You likely have something wrong in your codeplug. Could be something in the radio ergonomics settings for the radio controls. It could be something in your zone channel assignment. It could be in your conventional personality setting. It's hard to pinpoint the problem without being able to see how you have your radio programmed.

DanRollman

Database Admin
A relm bk will not affiliate and you dont need a system key. It knocks it direct to monitor the system only without a system key. That or a unication g5 would be ideal.

The above is the best advice in this thread.

If you want an APX because it is "just so sexy" then use it for conventional channels only. Use it on the ham repeater. Heck, plug FRS frequencies into it if you want to break the law in a way that won't get anyone killed. Just don't try to hack into a P25 TRS with it.

If what you really want is to screw around with using a high quality public safety grade radio to monitor a P25 trunked system, get you a BKRadio KNG or KNG2. It is going to come in last place at the beauty contest that the APX wins, but it has easier-to-use software that is readily available, does not require hacking system keys, and has a true manufacturer-supported "RX Only" mode that has zero chance of affiliating and avoids the need to always be in scan mode. She's like an old rusty car with a brand new engine that just runs amazing. Your friends won't be impressed, but she'll never leave you on the side of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.