Some questions about the frequencies in this database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

php111

Hi,

I have some questions about the frequencies in this database. If I want to program in Philly and let's say a frequency listed in Philly can be used anywhere so my question is what frequencies should I avoid meaning what are the only true frequencies for the counties that I am going to list?

Bucks
Philly
Montgomery
Lehigh
Berks
Schuykill
Northampton
Carbon

sepafire

they can be use anywhere but if it in the same area then no it cant be use then.

php111

sepafire said:
they can be use anywhere but if it in the same area then no it cant be use then.

I don't want them to be used anywhere. I want to get rid of the ones that can be used anyway such as keep the counties only frequencies so if it's a Phill frequency then I will only hear Philly.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
(1) There is little commonality of frequency use between the counties you listed. You need to subdivide them into different banks or groups on the scanner and simply turn off the banks that cover the areas you aren't presently in. (2) most fequencies use some form of access control (CTCSS, DCS, or NAC) to prevent crosstalk. (3) signals don't travel as far as you may be concerned about, especially when it comes to Philadelphia. Unless you are near or in Philadelphia you won't hear their ASTRO TRS; this is, I am told, by design, as it is intended to be a local coverage system. There are a few exceptions, such as placing an antenna on a high tower to improve coverage, but no everyone has that ability. (4) the FCC licensed frequencies for a user *are* the true frequencies for that user. If you are uncertain as to the exact use of that frequency, look at both the information provided here and research the callsign/frequency/user in the FCC database. (5) there are several FAQ's on this website that may help answer some of your questions, including those under the RR Wiki

php111

I might move to Philly. I have no idea what to do. I am in a total lost of what the true frequencies are. I don't even know what to research.

chankel said:
(1) There is little commonality of frequency use between the counties you listed. You need to subdivide them into different banks or groups on the scanner and simply turn off the banks that cover the areas you aren't presently in. (2) most fequencies use some form of access control (CTCSS, DCS, or NAC) to prevent crosstalk. (3) signals don't travel as far as you may be concerned about, especially when it comes to Philadelphia. Unless you are near or in Philadelphia you won't hear their ASTRO TRS; this is, I am told, by design, as it is intended to be a local coverage system. There are a few exceptions, such as placing an antenna on a high tower to improve coverage, but no everyone has that ability. (4) the FCC licensed frequencies for a user *are* the true frequencies for that user. If you are uncertain as to the exact use of that frequency, look at both the information provided here and research the callsign/frequency/user in the FCC database. (5) there are several FAQ's on this website that may help answer some of your questions, including those under the RR Wiki

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Most of the research has already been done and the results posted here in the RR DB. You need to start with those frequencies that are in use where you are located right now, and if you are planning to do any monitoring in a county that has an ASTRO/P25 system you need a scanner or receiver capable of receiving that modulation. I'll point you in the direction of the RR Wiki again.

php111

I say this again. I don't want to sound rude. I rather try to listen to the counties I posted or I rather know what the counties are for the South East region. It's not hard to tell me what counties are in that region and what are the frequencies that won't be heard every where just in the South East region. Just let me try the frequencies I am sure I find out the hard way they won't work.

chankel said:
Most of the research has already been done and the results posted here in the RR DB. You need to start with those frequencies that are in use where you are located right now, and if you are planning to do any monitoring in a county that has an ASTRO/P25 system you need a scanner or receiver capable of receiving that modulation. I'll point you in the direction of the RR Wiki again.

scanjunkie

php111, I don't mean to sound rude either, but your question has already been answered a couple of times...unless you're not explaining it correctly. If you go to the RR DB and look up Philadelphia county, the freqs you see there are ONLY going to be for Philly. Montgomery County will ONLY be for Montgomery County, etc, etc.

To tell you the counties and the freqs for the SE would be the same as re-writing the RR DB. It's already done...no one is going to re-type it for you. There is a county map in the PA section of the database that you can look at and see what counties surround the are you are living, or going to be, living in.

Let us know if we are not understanding you and we will try to be of assistance!!

php111

The part I don't understand. I want it to be something or similar to citywide. Pretty much what I am asking again. What frequencies should I avoid meaning PHILLY only so if I don't get Philly I don't get anything it's simple. If I program in something like 155 or 456 or something I will get local. That is NOT what I want. It's the counties I program in or it's nothing.

scanjunkie said:
php111, I don't mean to sound rude either, but your question has already been answered a couple of times...unless you're not explaining it correctly. If you go to the RR DB and look up Philadelphia county, the freqs you see there are ONLY going to be for Philly. Montgomery County will ONLY be for Montgomery County, etc, etc.

To tell you the counties and the freqs for the SE would be the same as re-writing the RR DB. It's already done...no one is going to re-type it for you. There is a county map in the PA section of the database that you can look at and see what counties surround the are you are living, or going to be, living in.

Let us know if we are not understanding you and we will try to be of assistance!!

captclint

Mentor
From what I gather, you are planning to move to Philly, and want to have city-wide freq's. only. Each one of us programs more frequencies than we ultimately decide makes sense for our listening objective. There is really no short cut to this. When you get to Philly, you should program most or all of the Philly freq's and see:
  1. Which ones you can actually receive, and eliminate those you hear no activity for a month or two.
  2. Which ones you can receive, but have little interest(maybe because they are local to an area, as you say)
  3. Which freq's from your county and surrounding counties you can actually receive, vs ones you have no interest.
  4. If you plan to travel through Philly and surrounding counties with you scanner, you may want to have a few different profiles/frequency sets for traveling.
The counties are a bit easier than the general Philly area, since each county lists "County-Wide" freq's. Metro Philly area is actually part of 10 counties, so you will need to look at each one, and how close/far you are from them, and ignore the township and boro freq's.
There is no one right answer to your question, which is why you haven't been getting one. This is the process each one of us goes through, and it is constantly evolving.

Last edited:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
And I guess for Php111 is the all important question. What scanner are you using? If the frequencies dont work when you are in Philadelphia but you hear a loud buzzing sound from your scanner then maybe you don't have a digitally capable scanner. Or maybe you programmed it in wrong and we may be able to help you with that.

captclint

Mentor
policefreak said:
And I guess for Php111 is the all important question. What scanner are you using?
In another thread, he lists the Pro528, which is not digital. So, obviously, he does not need to program any of those :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.