Some say they're being forced to pay for rented radios officers call a necessity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's the first time I have ever heard them called N.C. Division of Community Corrections, I have always heard (and used) "probation and parole". Oh well, sucks to be them.

ocguard

Wow. Total ignorance. And can someone tell me how you "tune a Nextel to the right channel?"

CCHLLM

"Tuning" in this case I'm sure refers to the fact that you've got to choose a contact before pushing the PTT button, and in most cases failing to do that results in reaching only the last person you Direct Connected with. They don't exactly have the luxury of a common channel as they did with the 800 trunking radios, and if they were to use Group Call, that takes several key strokes. When time is of the essence, pushing buttons before you can call for help would not be an attractive option in my opinion.

SAR923

Maybe the problem is that Rose needs to spend a few nights on the streets with her her "underlings" chasing wanted suspects. The "Man Down" feature on a portable is worth its weight in gold if you're really in trouble. With a Nextel, you not only have to go through all the button pushing while you're in a foot pursuit, you have to be able to talk. All I have to be abe to do is move my arm to get help with the portable. I've been in situations where where it was too dangerous to radio for help and the suspect didn't know I had pressed the button. I got backup ASAP. Try that with a Nextel.

EncryptionMan

Nextel's (at least the more rugged versions) can be programed to force it self to a a push to talk or group talk ID. As an example all the Nextel's we hand out are programed to automatically direct connect the base unit in operations. You of course have the option to change who you wish to DC before pushing the button. In addition to that public safety Nextel units have emergency buttons however that takes ALOT of work to implement. Those phones however are far more expensive and I am not sure if they are available to smaller customers or even at all anymore.

WA4MJF

Just shows to go you what happens when you put a girl in a man's job.
EEO at work!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WA4MJF said:
Just shows to go you what happens when you put a girl in a man's job.
EEO at work!

Thats complete BS and you know it.

I have seen female cops who have put men on the ground quickly (and not butch ones either, these gals really looked like women :lol: ) and there are just as many men who are either little fancy-pants types, or like one probation & parole officer I see, they are about 5'8" and 400lbs of blubber.

WA4MJF

The results speak for themselves. While I did work with a FEW good police women,
most were just there because they were female. Are you even from around here???

ibagli

Where are these "results"? I'd like to see them. Or are they just your anecdotes tinted with your preexisting views?

WA4MJF

The intensive officers are having to use cell phones instead of radios, did you read the article???????? A girl made the decision, according to the article and the guys are complaining.

fireant

I think one of the comments by someone on the story on the website states it best. "Another classic case of an administrator making a decision that affects people while they sit in their offices and look at nothing but numbers."

fireant

SAR923

I think one of the comments by someone on the story on the website states it best. "Another classic case of an administrator making a decision that affects people while they sit in their offices and look at nothing but numbers."

fireant

Quite true, and far more important than the sex of the administrator. I suspect she's not very involved with her staff or the day-today operations or she woudn't have made such a dumb decision. I've seen plenty of incompetent male administrators make equally dumb decisions.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The results speak for themselves. While I did work with a FEW good police women,
most were just there because they were female. Are you even from around here???

Hehe, sounds like someone lost a promotion to a women :D..Anyway, I'm with the others, they need to be given the tools they need. You can't put a price on life, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.