SOMEONE has some explaining to do....

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Oxford tower lost sight of a Cirrus aircraft half a mile from the airport coming in for a landing. This obviously triggered a large response from all the emergency services. After an extensive search and all kinds of personnel in the woods searching, the plane was located. Well, the plane was located alright, at Robertson Field safe and sound after doing touch n go practices. Umm, how do you lose sight of a plane that landed and took off, and why didn't the pilot check with the tower upon departure? Oxford is NOT that busy an airport to miss a plane taking off. Somebody has some explaining to do. Besides emergency services response, a few planes coming in were asked to do a brief circle around the airport vicinity to check for a downed aircraft. Yep, somebody will have to explain this one..

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya. But the FAA as well as the FD are gonna want answers. Can you imagine the pilot on the ground after he landed? "hey John, did you hear they lost a plane over in Oxford? No, and I just came from there too"....:D

Manny

APX7500X2

I hear ya. But the FAA as well as the FD are gonna want answers. Can you imagine the pilot on the ground after he landed? "hey John, did you hear they lost a plane over in Oxford? No, and I just came from there too"....:D

Manny

Hate to tell you but the FD has gotten the only answer they are going to get "We found the plane" and the FAA will get a 1 paragraph incident report for the files and only because it was reported.

A plane going off radar after taking off happens 100s of times a day around the country and since small planes don't do much communicating or squawking there is not much that can be done. If it was after the time the tower closes in Oxford it would not have been an incident at all.

As they say " Much to do about nothing"

bmeehan282

Premium Subscriber
I agree the FD got the answer they are going to get, "the plane was located".. Personally I do not understand how the tower reported this plane missing 1/2 mile from the runway. Danbury is far busier than Oxford, situated between a bunch of hills, and I cannot think of instance where we went looking for a plane that hadn't actually crashed.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I agree the FD got the answer they are going to get, "the plane was located".. Personally I do not understand how the tower reported this plane missing 1/2 mile from the runway. Danbury is far busier than Oxford, situated between a bunch of hills, and I cannot think of instance where we went looking for a plane that hadn't actually crashed.

My feelings exactly. I've been to this airport and monitor it regularly. 1 plane coming in a 1/2 mile out. Not only do you lose it coming in, but how do you lose it taking off again?

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.