Somers Point PD VHF gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRNJ

Premium Subscriber
Somers Point PD used to operate on VHF (155.625, DPL 606). Hadn't checked for a few weeks as I was busy with a lot of other things but for the past 4 days zero activity on that frequency. I check the FCC ULS and couldn't find a cancellation or update for that license.

I do not monitor 800/EDACS/P25 so unsure if they moved over to the 800 county system or not.

Anyone know what happened and if they moved to 800? Thanks

PRNJ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Do you know what freq they use for CH 4 off hand? you can PM me if you want. I just checked out a parked Tahoe today and no sign of 800mhz vehicle radio or even antenna. Looks like they still have the VHF unit inside and the VHF NMO mounts+antenna on them.

I used to have CH4 in a retro Bearcat 210. I think they also have the county freq. in those car radios too. Maybe they plan on keeping the VHF equipment for special events ie bayfest?

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
SP

Ch 4 is 155.01. Yes, the Somers Point PD vehicles still have the VHF equipt installed. The bond was approved last week to fund the new equipt. Currently they are using M/A Comm P25 portables for patrol.

EMS continues on VHF but that may change soon when the new EMS provider contract is finalized.

FD remains on VHF.

PRNJ

Premium Subscriber
Ch 4 is 155.01. Yes, the Somers Point PD vehicles still have the VHF equipt installed. The bond was approved last week to fund the new equipt. Currently they are using M/A Comm P25 portables for patrol.

EMS continues on VHF but that may change soon when the new EMS provider contract is finalized.

FD remains on VHF.

I've heard them tonight on 155.010 saying they are having issues with the 800 radios...

I'm glad fire will remain VHF.

Looks like I'll be in the market soon for a Phase 2 P25 scanner ($$$). Hopefully Somers Point doesn't run encryption and kill the fun.

PRNJ

Premium Subscriber

FD remains on VHF.

Wonder if Shore will do away with VHF this year?

Monoxide16

If they do I sure will miss those frequencies. I can pick them up sometimes during the summer from my area. Everyone says digital is great it must not be if they are already having issues... I like their old analog channel.

PRNJ

Premium Subscriber
If they do I sure will miss those frequencies. I can pick them up sometimes during the summer from my area. Everyone says digital is great it must not be if they are already having issues... I like their old analog channel.

I'm local, we've monitored the city frequencies since the cars first became radio equipped over 35 years ago.

Biggest issue was the vhf hand holds would also break up on transmit in areas that had poor coverage. A lot of the problems xperienced with the VHF system were user error and not caused by the equipment. Plus all the surrounding towns (Linwood, Northfield, Ocean City, Atlantic City) moved to 800 years ago. Now they can easily facilitate mutual aide, etc. where before everything had to be requested on the VHF County frequency and relayed by a SPPD dispatcher on 155.625 to the best of my knoweledge Somets Point cars never monitored the county frequency only dispatch monitored it and had to relay information and requests for assistance.

It looks like SPPD shopped the contract to a new form and Birches (mays landing) and school house communications (somers point) no longer handle radio equipment for the city.

DougWatkins

Concerning Ocean City PD..are they still on Edacs Provoice or did they move to the P25 system...I see they have a talk group on the P25, but there are no "sites" near OC

Edacs has a site in OC

I just bought a p2 scanner for my shore home....I don't want to pay for the Provoice upgrade if they have moved to p25

Looking at RR it appears most of Atl County is now using P25 for fire and police or are the Edacs talk groups still active?

OC still using VHF for fire/ems/beach patrol but they still have talk groups on Edacs- none on P25

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.