Somerset County 700 P25 Expansion and Changes

r60

Premium Subscriber
Let’s use this thread to keep track of changes to the 700 System. We know thanks to @GTR8000 the number of sites and frequencies have been expanded. Not seen yet are MW path applications. My guess is path studies are underway and then licensing.

I do know that a move of equipment up at Zion is planned or has occurred to a County tower nearby. This may explain some signal issues some have been reporting.

Anything else please report it here.

The CH 19 tropo problem will likely hasten this along.

r60

Premium Subscriber
Bernards has a 700 site that I confirmed is OTA. I was at Monopole by Bernards Police HQ, full scale no antenna. I have not been by Vollers Tower. Also noted Morris MIRS has a site there too. You may be getting 700 LTE de-sense.

richee2000

Bernards has a 700 site that I confirmed is OTA. I was at Monopole by Bernards Police HQ, full scale no antenna. I have not been by Vollers Tower. Also noted Morris MIRS has a site there too. You may be getting 700 LTE de-sense.
I am just in a poor location for that site. Basking Ridge FD/EMS on 154.415 is barely readable. But, as I said, the 500 part of the system is 100%, 700 no signal. I dont think its de-sense . Nothing directly in my area could be causing this, and the 700 was 100% up until a few months ago.

RadioDitch

Expatriate Member
Premium Subscriber
I have not been by Vollers Tower.
I'm not all that familiar with Somerset County. Where would Vollers be? Vollers Recycling/Construction in Branchburg next to the gun shop?

Last edited:

r60

Premium Subscriber
I'm not all that familiar with Somerset County. Where would Vollers be? Vollers Recycling/Construction in Branchburg next to the gun shop?
The existing site location is east northeast of the intersection of 287/78. This tower has been called Vollers forever. I do not know who owns it. The County has leased space here for years. It appears SC is also vacating some leased sites for its own towers, such as Zion. I have been told the lessee has limited antenna height to 85’ at Vollers. Much work is going on to make the Somerset 700 TRS even better. Stay tuned.

RadioDitch

Expatriate Member
Premium Subscriber
The existing site location is east northeast of the intersection of 287/78. This tower has been called Vollers forever. I do not know who owns it. The County has leased space here for years. It appears SC is also vacating some leased sites for its own towers, such as Zion. I have been told the lessee has limited antenna height to 85’ at Vollers. Much work is going on to make the Somerset 700 TRS even better. Stay tuned.
Ahhh, the Old Stage Coach site. Thanks dude.

Reactions: r60

RadioDitch

Expatriate Member
Premium Subscriber
From my brother:

"I actually had to go up that way anyway to swap the polyphaser on the repeater hardline so I swung up to the tower site. RSSI of -51 at best backed up to the fence, -79 antenna off, and the contractor is on-site with our Motorola buddy. Safe to say Vollers is not on the air yet."

Reactions: r60

r60

Premium Subscriber
Funded. Maybe old lease expired and equipment off air waiting to be moved. Here is the verbage. My guess this site will then provide new MW shots to North and South County.

”upgrades from Motorola 7.13 to 7.17, replace/install Equipment update to Tower Sites, relocate equipment to new Tower at North Zion Rd, Construct and outfit New Radio Tower Stagecoach Rd“

I belonged to a ham radio club that owned & operated a UHF repeater that was located within a stone's throw of "Vollers." The legal address of the "Vollers" site is N/N Washington Valley Road, Bridgewater, NJ. An aerial photo of the site is attached. I believe the property is owned by either NJ American Water (Block 901, Lot 11.01) or the County of Somerset (Block 901, Lot 11.02). Prior to the installation of the tower, the nearby water tank was home to several antennas. There may still be antennas on the water tank; I haven't been to that location in ages as our ham repeater is now defunct. Our ham repeater was located on a tower owned by a cable TV company. We were the only 2-way antenna on the tower. I'm not even sure that tower exists any longer. It was located within the Hills at Bedminster complex. You could work the repeater easily from Mount Hope, PA. A great location for coverage to the south and west.SomersetCountyTower.jpg