Somerset County Type-II TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

The existing 500Mhz Type-II will be going off the air on 11/30 between 0800-1000.

The only remaining part of the system that will stay on the air is the Franklin site. I will update the DB on that day to reference the changes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Is Fire still strictly going to the UHF P25 system ? I know some PD's are 500 and others are 700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W2SJW

Database Admin
Yes, fire will remain on 500. I edited my original post, as my friend got back to me this morning & corrected himself on the date. It's actually the 30th. Time frame is still the same...

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Guys,

The existing 500Mhz Type-II will be going off the air on 11/30 between 0800-1000.

The only remaining part of the system that will stay on the air is the Franklin site. I will update the DB on that day to reference the changes.

Went off the air today. "End of Life"

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
Guys,

I heard that Franklin Twp is also looking to migrate to the P25 and deprecate their Type II in the near-future. Any weight to that rumor?

W2SJW

Database Admin
They don't have the money to replace all the 4MB XTS1500's that the FD's and squads have. Only the line officers have XTS2500's that can do both systems.

Sent from may Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
Hello im from Connecticut but i have family down in somerset county so when i go do i like to listen what system should i be programming?

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
Hello im from Connecticut but i have family down in somerset county so when i go do i like to listen what system should i be programming?

Use Somerset County (phase II P25), as well as Franklin Township (motorola type II, which is really just the remnants of the Somerset County motorola)

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
They don't have the money to replace all the 4MB XTS1500's that the FD's and squads have. Only the line officers have XTS2500's that can do both systems.

Sent from may Galaxy S6 via Tapatalk 6

Not exactly true...All Franklin Fire Districts have or in the immediate final stages of a flash upgrade / reprogramming. The XTS1500 have the capability of being flashed upgraded to P25 (9600 baud trunking) XTS2500 firmware. Some of the districts that have mutual aid partners in Northern Mercer County (P25 Phase 1) already had the upgrade several years ago the remainder had this done recently to ensure communications with the rest of Somerset County on mutual aid responses.

However, there is no movement towards upgrading to P25...it would be nice...but remaining on the current 3600 baud system for the time being.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
It will be interesting to see when the next weather event occurs that impacts the County.

The amount of system loading that has now occurred on the 9600 P25 for such reasons as more towns,more TG's and more simulcasting is IMHO significant.

One has to wonder about potentials of system busy's. We shall see. Bonk.

Ps: As a result of the switch being thrown, I know of at least one department that was not prepared.

asl307317

Premium Subscriber
Please excuse my ignorance but does this mean that Franklin Twp fire will no longer be dispatched on 154.31 (county south)?

W2SJW

Database Admin
Not exactly true...All Franklin Fire Districts have or in the immediate final stages of a flash upgrade / reprogramming. The XTS1500 have the capability of being flashed upgraded to P25 (9600 baud trunking) XTS2500 firmware. Some of the districts that have mutual aid partners in Northern Mercer County (P25 Phase 1) already had the upgrade several years ago the remainder had this done recently to ensure communications with the rest of Somerset County on mutual aid responses.

However, there is no movement towards upgrading to P25...it would be nice...but remaining on the current 3600 baud system for the time being.

My friend at the county told me the basically the same about the FD's - the major issue right now would be the squads. East Millstone gives a portable to every member...

mikea7531

Feed Provider
My friend at the county told me the basically the same about the FD's - the major issue right now would be the squads. East Millstone gives a portable to every member...

I don't understand the need to give a portable to every member. I know their neighbor to the north was the same way too, but got away from that practice and use IAR now. Sounds like someone just needs a little nudge.

I dunno what Franklin is going to do if that system craps out on them, one of the reasons why the county did what they did with this system.

RBFD415

Well, if you think about it you go to Home Depot, Staples and countless other retailers - every employee has a portable. Working in retail may be a little bit of a hazard around the holidays, with crazy shoppers- but face it, who really needs to consider safety at all times- PD, FD AND EMS.

Maybe we should ask why all EMS agencies don't issue portable radios to all crew members- ALS & BLS!?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mikea7531

Feed Provider
Well, if you think about it you go to Home Depot, Staples and countless other retailers - every employee has a portable. Working in retail may be a little bit of a hazard around the holidays, with crazy shoppers- but face it, who really needs to consider safety at all times- PD, FD AND EMS.

Maybe we should ask why all EMS agencies don't issue portable radios to all crew members- ALS & BLS!?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
This is very true. However, maybe you don't need to issue a radio to each member, but just ensure that each on duty crew member has a radio for while they're on duty

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.