TRX-1: Something I'm Missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Finally got to sit down and unbox this bad boy this afternoon. First I tried the Zip Code programming method and it worked fine, was able to zero in on Fairborn PD Dispatch and it sounded great. Went thru all the steps hooking up to PC and installing and updating with no problems at all, then settled down for a couple of hours to program with EZ Scan. It was an ordeal as a powerful storm was building outside. I actually stood in my backyard this evening and watched a funnel cloud circling about 3-4 miles away, SkyWarn was very active, tornado sirens nonstop. It skipped by us and touched down a few miles north of us, so far I have seen some very substantial damage on the news (totally trashed a Sunoco staton) So yeah I was a bit distracted and I think I missed something...I imported from the Library, enabled all services, checked all the appropriate TGs and assigned them to Scanlists, made a ScanSet with the Scanlists I wanted. So now I am hearing Greene County SO Dispatch ONLY...and my Scanlist with Fairborn TGs in it is dead silent. I have disabled all others, but when I toggle them they are silent, too. I know its something simple. It's got me scratching my head which is enhancing my headache...I am calling it a lively night and getting some much needed sleep. Hopefully I will wake up and login tomorrow and someone here will make me feel like an idiotic lol...I sure hope so!

Thanks much in advance! 73s...
JD
kf4anc

troymail

Silent Key
The database shows Fairborn police having conventional frequencies as well as talkgroups on the MARCS system. I'm not familiar with the area but sometimes jurisdictions use both (patched) and other times/places they may only use both sometimes if at all.

It's possible that your EZ Scan programming isn't looking at/for the same activity as what you were scanning while in zip code mode.

Questions

I suspect you used 45324 as the zip code for programming. Is that correct?

When you were hearing Fairborn while in Zip Code programming mode, did the display indicate you were monitoring Fairborn PD on a conventional channel or a talkgroup on a trunked system (note: you may have to enable advanced display options on the radio or in the EZ Scan software to be able to answer this question)?

If trunked, which site on MARCS were you monitoring (zip code and county programming appears to import the Greene County site and two mobile sites)?

When you did your non-zip code programming in EZ Scan, did you import the MARCS system (assuming that's where you heard Fairborn in zip code mode)?

If so, which sites of MARCS did you import? If more than Greene County, the scanner may be finding and locking on to a site other than Greene County and possibly that site isn't carrying Fairborn talkgroups.

There could be lots of different reasons things are not working and it could be (and likely is) something pretty simple.

The best advice I give is usually don't panic - back up a bit and maybe start over. The programming can be a bit overwhelming even if you've owned scanners in the past. Once the programming is ruled out, it sometimes takes a little more understanding of how the trunking systems work (even more so with the larger systems like MARCS) and how the scanner functions when tying to use your programming. Occasionally, you have to be smarter than the scanner.....

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hey troymail thanks for the reply

Yes, when zip code programmed (45324) I was monitoring the Fairborn Dispatched trunked TG, but that's actually the only freq that popped up and I locked onto it. I have 4 TGs and 3 conventionals in the Scanlist I believe.

I have to go back to the drawing board on this one. I only imported Greene County from the MARCS IP system and only one group of frequencies. Had no idea there were two sites. Therein lies my problem I do believe. I spent over 4hrs yesterday programming 25 different Scanlists with both trunked TGs and conventional frequencies. I saved all to a Vscan folder and I am hoping I can go back and fix the import problem without losing it all. I need to read up on the correct methods of importing SYSTEMS and SITES. I think I've got the ScanSets and Scanlists protocol down, but the thing I am missing is the correct procedure of what should have been done first, i.e., importing the systems and sites.

I've read several different methods by several folks here as to what works best for them (different counties are different ScanSets, toggling those to hear what you want, etc) and I've noticed several small bloopers that sidetrack people at first. It's like when I first bought the brand new BC200XLT, it took a little time to figure it out at first. I look at this scanner and the EZ Scan software and I sometimes feel like a hog staring at a stopwatch. ha/ I am determined to master this technology,

<< Occasionally, you have to be smarter than the scanner.....>>

Boy, that's asking a lot!

Thanks, again, troymail, I sure do appreciate your advice -

JD
kf4anc

troymail

Silent Key
Additional recommendation - start small - load it up - see that it works - return and correct if necessary.

You really don't want to try to do too much programming until you have it down - and it takes time and some patience.

Also, as you get things working, considering leaving the VFolder you have that is working unchanged (or archive it). Start your next adventure in a new VFolder. That way, if something goes wrong you can always get back to what worked.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Noted and filed! Thanks :)

I was actually prepared for this after reading up on this scanner here for months now, so I am not overly disappointed or frustrated. Many thanks to fine folks like yourself that are here to help those of us who fumble with these new gadgets . Your wisdom and experience is invaluable.

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
When I import Greene County site into TRX-1 (also programming the WS-1065 at same time) I get 4 frequencies on the Fairborn tower. I am researching old threads and found this link showing TEN frequencies listed...confused as to what is correct info here. Do I need all ten in the trunking info? I have made some headway here with backing up to minimal programming...just 2 ScanLists -one digital, and one conventional, all Fairborn PD and fire...all I hear are main dispatch channels...and on conventional I have 154.0 which is fire callout and its loud and clear with tones on my 895XLT and both Whistlers are silent. Still missing something and still looking....

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...-83.91357399999998&spn=0.262549,0.617294&z=11

troymail

Silent Key
When I import Greene County site into TRX-1 (also programming the WS-1065 at same time) I get 4 frequencies on the Fairborn tower. I am researching old threads and found this link showing TEN frequencies listed...confused as to what is correct info here. Do I need all ten in the trunking info?
This is an option (tuned on by default?) where EZ Scan will only import the required control channel frequencies vs. all of the site frequencies. You really only need the control channel frequencies (those in red and blue on the RRDB) and in reality only the "active" control channel frequency). So, unless the information in the database is wrong or out of date, you only need those 4.
I have made some headway here with backing up to minimal programming...just 2 ScanLists -one digital, and one conventional, all Fairborn PD and fire...all I hear are main dispatch channels...and on conventional I have 154.0 which is fire callout and its loud and clear with tones on my 895XLT and both Whistlers are silent. Still missing something and still looking....

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...-83.91357399999998&spn=0.262549,0.617294&z=11

Sounds like some progress - but this is a little confusing.

You started out working on a TRX-1 and could hear Fairborn Pd in zip code programming but not with specific programming. Now you say you're hearing Fairborn PD and Fire dispatch but you mention digital and conventional scanlists. Are you hearing Fairborn on the trunked system, on conventional channels, or both? And does this imply there are other things you think you should be hearing that are programmed but you are not hearing?

As far as 154.4, if you're not hearing anything, and have verified your programming, the two things I'd try are (1) adjusting squelch and/or (2) removing the specific squelch setting (change it to search vs. 88.5

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I can only hear the main dispatch channels for Fairborn PD and Greene County SO, I am not hearing ANY conventional channels. I'm pulling double duty here, rec'd both the TRX-1 and the WS-1065 so I am up to my ears in both. Oddly enough, same symptoms on both scanners - rec main dispatch channels only, no other trunk TGs and no conventional. Thanks again for your advice, I will be sitting down with them later this afternoon. I have only adjusted squelch on the radio knobs, not in the software settings. Using ARC500 with 1065 and it is not acting right (no virtual control yet) but yes I am making some progress here!

Thanks
JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I was hoping this adjustment would be quick simple and easy to find - HA! Where does one find this specific squelch setting (from 88.5 to search) ? I assumed Global Settings and not seeing it anywhere

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Only the 154.400 conv had a setting that I changed to SRCH, the others were already reading SRCH. As soon as I loaded change into 1065 I got a hit on 154.400!! Noticing that the TRX-1 is only occasionally picking up the main disp TG and the 1065 is picking up more...ok now getting tones and dispatches on 154.400, three hits as I type this reply. More progress! Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.