Something is going on in the skies over College Station...

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I was checking FlightRadar24 earlier and noticed not one, not two, not three, but up to TEN helicopters hovering over and around the airport and the western/southwestern end of the county. They included at least two Army helicopters, at least one privately registered helicopter, a Coast Guard helicopter (which was hovering and making a small, tight orbit over a spot on the Brazos River), Travis County STAR, two DPS units, a Texas Parks & Wildlife unit from San Marcos, and one from the San Antonio Police Department. I'm not hearing anything significant on the scanner. I don't know if anyone has an explanation for this, but it is so unusual I just thought I would mention it.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I would guess something happening at the TAMU training facility there.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I would guess something happening at the TAMU training facility there.
Agreed, something out at Brayton. Either training or may be using it as a base to supplement emergency response to the Houston area like they did during Harvey.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Agreed, something out at Brayton. Either training or may be using it as a base to supplement emergency response to the Houston area like they did during Harvey.
I think most of the emergency response is over.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I just heard one of them say that they were enroute to Disaster City, so I guess they're doing some sort of training exercise there, although I've never heard of one requiring that many helicopters (from so many separate operators) before. Some of them were saying that they were holding "over Fairfield" or "over Summer".
There is one thing though. It seems like there was one private helicopter, a US Army CH-72A Lakota, and a US Coast Guard Dolphin doing tight orbits around an area of the Brazos River near Disaster City. The rest seemed to be taking off and doing several loops of various sizes around the airport before landing again.

UPDATE: I just heard one of the Army helicopters going by "SHINER 11" saying that they were inbound to Disaster City, so that I think confirms that there is a fairly large exercise of some sort going on there.

rattlerbb01, I don't think it has anything to do with Houston because all of the aircraft were staying in the general area of the airport and/or Disaster City.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I just heard one of them say that they were enroute to Disaster City, so I guess they're doing some sort of training exercise there, although I've never heard of one requiring that many helicopters (from so many separate operators) before. Some of them were saying that they were holding "over Fairfield" or "over Summer".
There is one thing though. It seems like there was one private helicopter, a US Army CH-72A Lakota, and a US Coast Guard Dolphin doing tight orbits around an area of the Brazos River near Disaster City. The rest seemed to be taking off and doing several loops of various sizes around the airport before landing again.

UPDATE: I just heard one of the Army helicopters going by "SHINER 11" saying that they were inbound to Disaster City, so that I think confirms that there is a fairly large exercise of some sort going on there.

rattlerbb01, I don't think it has anything to do with Houston because all of the aircraft were staying in the general area of the airport and/or Disaster City.
What frequency?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, Disaster City uses simplex radios and so I doubt you'd be able to pick up anything unless you were in the immediate area. I am monitoring Easterwood Tower on 118.5 and that's where I've been hearing the aircraft.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Some of the helos are back up again and orbiting Disaster City, so I suspect they were either refueling or taking a break. There's also a new addition: "TANDM03", which is a US Army CH-47. Also, it appears that "Fairview" (not "Fairfield") refers to an area over Lake Bryan and "Summer" refers to Somerville. I have no idea why they would be over there.
According to FlightRadar24, it appears that the Travis County STAR, US Coast Guard and Parks & Wildlife helos have departed the area. However, it seems that several private helicopters are now orbiting over the area.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
At 3:18, I heard one of the DPS helos (registered as N844TX and going by the callsign "DPS101") announcing that they were clear of the area and heading back to Dallas, so I've identified at least one of the two DPS units involved. The other is N824TX, and I haven't really heard what their callsign is. For anyone interested, the registration for the SAPD helo is N1603M, Travis County STAR is N307TC, and Parks & Wildlife is N270PW.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
One final thing...
It appears that there was helicopter water rescue training going on over Lake Bryan (and possibly Lake Somerville). This was definitely a fairly complex exercise. Usually, there will be something in the news about it before it happens, but I have as of yet not been able to locate anything. You would think that seeing nearly a dozen helicopters flying around would generate some sort of news article.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
This account on X @WindTunnelGuy, has several posts and pictures regarding this event.