something like STANAG 4481 I can decode and read ,not encrypted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

I kind of asked this afew years back , I listen around to the digital modes but is there any around say STANAG 4481 that I can actually read ? In other words it is not encrypted ?
I've seen various ham radio digital modes and weather digital modes on SW bands but never what I call unusual stuff, not encrypted.
I know ,I'm trying to make this too easy ,yep that is exactly what I'm trying to do !

Al

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
fI've seen RARE - and I do mean RARE - cases on the UDXF where a 4481 station was running in the clear. This was usually when they run a test tape. Otherwise, it's always encrypted.

Now if you want clear text stuff to see, beyond the weather and ham stuff, there's quite a lot, actually. Check out our article from our digital FAQ called 'Testing Your New Setup'. Specifically, look at the ALE Networks, for example (something that is literally exploding on the HF bands). Not only do hams use it, but there are literally tons of other governmental and non governmental users. Poor Hugh Stegman tries to keep up with his Utility World list, but it's got to be nearly impossible to keep up with it all. Next, there's HFDL used by aircraft. Unfortunately the file on the UDXF is a bit out of date, as there's a new table of frequencies and sites, but it's still mostly usable. Some folks like this because some of the sites are rather hard to get, DX wise, any other way, and they are aircraft hobbyists.

And I wouldn't ignore the various SW Radiogram tests.

Oh yes, here's the link to the article...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Testing_Your_New_Setup

Personally speaking, if you want to hunt digital, these days ALE (a.k.a Mil-Std-188-141 A/B) is the way to go. Subscribing to the UDXF on groups.io is a must

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Mike Chace-Ortiz's Digital Digest reprints (from his former column from Spectrum Monitor magazine). A wealth of information can be found there, and they are inexpensive. The link for them on Amazon is found in the Suggested Reading topic of

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/HF_Appendix

again from our Digital Decoding FAQ

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.