Somethings Wrong At Yemen Radio 11860kHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXerPaulAK

For the last several days, I’ll catch them running Their regular programming in my early morning hours here in Alaska (1500UTC is usually when I can hear enough of audio to determine what it is)

But for the the last several days, at 1700, I’ll hear a 5 minute english promo and a 5 minute Arabic language promo for satellite services provider NileSat run in a repeating loop for at least 2 hours

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
@DXerPaulAK I noticed that no one replied to your post. I am curious as to what the situation is now with radio Yemen.

June, July and August have been particularly bad in Yemen as far as attacks from Saudi Arabia and an escalating Civil War, it is a humanitarian crisis and there is strife every day with multiple terrorist attacks, bombings, killings and a humanitarian crisis with starvation, especially of children. You will not see this in our news even though it's probably one of the most important stories in the world right now.

This might have something to do with the interruption of normal or routine broadcast.

What is the status now? Is any news coming out of Yemen and if it is, what does it sound like.

There are news sources around the world that do cover this major story. There has been a humanitarian crisis there for a while but it has escalated in the last few months. So has the fighting and killing, the UN has been trying to broker a shaky ceasefire but it's not very effective.

Let us know what you're hearing now. I would be curious to know. Thanks.

DXerPaulAK

@DXerPaulAK I noticed that no one replied to your post. I am curious as to what the situation is now with radio Yemen.

June, July and August have been particularly bad in Yemen as far as attacks from Saudi Arabia and an escalating Civil War, it is a humanitarian crisis and there is strife every day with multiple terrorist attacks, bombings, killings and a humanitarian crisis with starvation, especially of children. You will not see this in our news even though it's probably one of the most important stories in the world right now.

This might have something to do with the interruption of normal or routine broadcast.

What is the status now? Is any news coming out of Yemen and if it is, what does it sound like.

There are news sources around the world that do cover this major story. There has been a humanitarian crisis there for a while but it has escalated in the last few months. So has the fighting and killing, the UN has been trying to broker a shaky ceasefire but it's not very effective.

Let us know what you're hearing now. I would be curious to know. Thanks.

About a week after it started, that 1700-1900 block seemed to go back to normal

I scale back my SW activites in august.. almost exclusively just weekends and a few select favorites on weekends.. i kinda take a break and by september its almost all AM

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
About a week after it started, that 1700-1900 block seemed to go back to normal

I scale back my SW activites in august.. almost exclusively just weekends and a few select favorites on weekends.. i kinda take a break and by september its almost all AM
Okay I was just wondering, I've been following the story pretty closely, it's so awful. I'm glad you are still able to find English speaking broadcast, listening must be interesting in Alaska, it's certainly not like it was in the old days LOL..

I do a lot of AM DX'ing as the weather turns cooler and the nights are crisp. Thanks for your reply Paul... Bob.

majoco

Stirrer
In years gone by, many of the major international broadcasters had a 'signature' that they would transmit long before the published broadcast time. The BBC had four drum beats that sounded like the morse for "V" - dit dit dit dah - for 'Victory' and started in WW2, then a small bit of patriotic brass band music which I can whistle but don't know the name. The VoA had chimes like the "Star spangled banner" - just so that listeners could tune in easily before the actual broadcast - no digital radios in them days.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh yes, it's called an interval signal. Each country had its own unique one. Kind of let you know they were coming and gave you a chance to fine tune the frequency.

Been listening since I was a kid in the mid-60s and I actually knew all of them LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.