Sonde Radiosonde Decoder (PC & Mac)

KC8MZM

Premium Subscriber
I track the NWS radiosondes from Birmingham and Peachtree City (Atlanta). Within the past week Birmingham switched from the LMS-6 radiosonde (1676 MHz) to the DFM-17 radiosonde (405.610 MHz). Peachtree City is scheduled to make the same switch the week of January 24th. You can see which forecast offices are switching over to the new Manual Radiosonde Observation System by searching for MROS at NWS Service Change Notices. They currently only have notifications through the end of January.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I track the NWS radiosondes from Birmingham and Peachtree City (Atlanta). Within the past week Birmingham switched from the LMS-6 radiosonde (1676 MHz) to the DFM-17 radiosonde (405.610 MHz). Peachtree City is scheduled to make the same switch the week of January 24th. You can see which forecast offices are switching over to the new Manual Radiosonde Observation System by searching for MROS at NWS Service Change Notices. They currently only have notifications through the end of January.

I watched (radio wise) Morehead City (Newport), NC and Roanoke (Blacksburg), VA change over to DFM17. I have one of the Roanoke DFM next to me (the winds blew the right way). In the case of a change from an earlier 403 MHz (one in the 400-406 MHz range) model, I have noticed
when they make the change they are using the same frequency.ROA DFM17.jpg

Last edited:

Token

Dang you, I mean just dang all of you guys. Thank you for another minor addiction to feed.

So, I have always known about these things at some level. I have seen and monitored the data transmissions from them before. But this thread made me look into actually demodulating the data for the first time, instead of just seeing it as a signal on the spectrum.

In the last three days I have gone from just peripherally knowing these exist to building a Pi based receiving and tracking station (with GPS for mobile use / sonde hunting), a laptop based solution (with GPS for mobile use / sonde hunting), as well as my primary listening positions at the house. I have built 2, 403 MHz, quarter wave ground planes. I have laid out a 403 MHz Yagi to use in the field for pinpointing. I have laid out and started turning metal for a 7 element 403 MHz Yagi to go on my Elevation over Azimuth sat / other thing tracker pedestal.

This weekend I will probably install a Pi based receiver at the house to feed https://radiosondy.info/ and SondeHub Tracker Last night I ordered a new SDR and started building the filter and preamplifier for this installation.

I mean, just dang you guys.

T!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Dang you, I mean just dang all of you guys. Thank you for another minor addiction to feed.

So, I have always known about these things at some level. I have seen and monitored the data transmissions from them before. But this thread made me look into actually demodulating the data for the first time, instead of just seeing it as a signal on the spectrum.

In the last three days I have gone from just peripherally knowing these exist to building a Pi based receiving and tracking station (with GPS for mobile use / sonde hunting), a laptop based solution (with GPS for mobile use / sonde hunting), as well as my primary listening positions at the house. I have built 2, 403 MHz, quarter wave ground planes. I have laid out a 403 MHz Yagi to use in the field for pinpointing. I have laid out and started turning metal for a 7 element 403 MHz Yagi to go on my Elevation over Azimuth sat / other thing tracker pedestal.

This weekend I will probably install a Pi based receiver at the house to feed https://radiosondy.info/ and SondeHub Tracker Last night I ordered a new SDR and started building the filter and preamplifier for this installation.

I mean, just dang you guys.

T!

And you will be addicted to trying to see when one comes down near you and try to retrieve it. My count is now at 10 and I am now selective at what I will go after. I would like to get a RS-41 (to add to my collection of 6 LMS-6 and 3 DFM-12 that I retrieved) when it comes down (I actually already have 2 RS-41 but I bought those off eBay from Europe.)

Token

And you will be addicted to trying to see when one comes down near you and try to retrieve it. My count is now at 10 and I am now selective at what I will go after. I would like to get a RS-41 (to add to my collection of 6 LMS-6 and 3 DFM-12 that I retrieved) when it comes down (I actually already have 2 RS-41 but I bought those off eBay from Europe.)

RS-41 is the majority here. Prevailing winds do not bring anything near me on a regular basis, but looking at past histories it looks like a few times a year winds shift in my direction from 2 different launch locations. With that said, I am watching an LMS-6 in the air right now out of Vandenburg with a projected drop site less than 2 hours away. I may go and try to retrieve that one, depending on what it look like closer to touchdown. It would be a definite, but I have a couple things planned for late this morning, and depending on how rough the terrain is in the better defined touchdown area after pop I may not be able to go get this and still do the other planned things also.

T!