Sonim XP8 XPand Direct Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

XPAND Direct Mode for XP8 modules have been delivered. Wife received the package at home. I'm at work right now so I won't get to play with them until tonight.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

n1das

IMG_20190522_223731.jpgIMG_20190522_223808.jpgIMG_20190522_224029.jpgIMG_20190522_224703.jpgIMG_20190522_224723.jpgScreenshot_20190522-233408.png

I got to install and play with the Sonim XPand Direct Mode for XP8 modules tonight and got them working without any problems at all. The module secures on top of the phone with 2 captive screws on the side. The phone feels a little more like a brick with the module installed but seems to feel more comfortable with the phone w/module up to my ear when in a voice call.

Setup is very easy plug and play. The Sonim XPand DM app recognized the module installed and then wanted to do a FW update which took about 2 minutes after I OK'd the update to start. Then it was play time. I found it very easy to get XPand Direct Mode set up and working and had our 2 phones talking to each other in XPand Direct Mode. I will be playing with the phones and the app for a while to learn my way around it and customize settings.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I want but don't use ATT, I wish my company gave us more choices on phones and service providers. If you want Verizon you get Iphone. If you want ATT you get Samsung that's it.
Would be nice if Apple came out with a similar product. I use old Nextels in direct mode when out of range or for ease of use when talking car to car.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I want but don't use ATT, I wish my company gave us more choices on phones and service providers. If you want Verizon you get Iphone. If you want ATT you get Samsung that's it.
Would be nice if Apple came out with a similar product. I use old Nextels in direct mode when out of range or for ease of use when talking car to car.

All due respect to Apple, but I highly doubt that would ever happen with them. All of the Network Radios, etc., use Android OS.

I just ordered a Sonim XP8 a bit earlier today. I want to see if it will work with EchoLink, Peanut, Zello, IRN, etc. Having a smartphone with a built-in Push To Talk (PTT) switch should be nice for those things.

I get how most people are smartphone-centric and, if they lose coverage, that is it for them. For more savvy folks, having the ability to use off-network simplex built into the device would/could be a huge benefit to some people.

n1das

I use Zello on my XP8 in addition to AT&T EPTT. Zello and Sonim are development partners.

Zello works well on the XP8. I have the hardware PTT button assigned to AT&T EPTT. The 2 programmable buttons are assigned to Zello. The XP8 essentially gives me 3 hardware PTT buttons. I disabled the on-screen button in Zello to prevent activating PTT by accident. BTDT a few times already.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
N1DAS,

Do you have any additional updates on this? How do they compare to the DTRs? Are they "keepers"?

Jim
NØJS

cabletek73

I am also happy to report I use the XP8 for all the services listed above, it truly is a solid device, I am not afraid to bounce it around. The audio compares to the APX I have. I am curious about the XPAND add on option, will look into that, thanks for sharing.

n1das

N1DAS,

Do you have any additional updates on this? How do they compare to the DTRs? Are they "keepers"?

Jim
NØJS
They definitely are keepers. I will have an update to post later tonight.

n1das

They definitely are keepers. I will have an update to post later tonight.

XP8800 phone model = XP8.

As promised, here is an update. I haven't had an opportunity to do any range testing yet but my wife and I were able to play around with Sonim Direct Mode a few times while we were out and about. The module and app does work as advertised but there are a few quirks to be aware of.

Unlike the Motorola DTRs and DLRs, the app doesn't wait to receive an acknowledgement from a receiving phone w/module before transmitting. It sends a burst of syncronization data immediately upon pressing PTT and then waits a little under a second before transmitting. The Talk Permit Tone (TPT) is a short beep upon pressing PTT followed by a 2-tone (lo/hi) beep about a second later. I found it continues transmitting even if there's no other phone w/DM module in range to receive the transmission. I confirmed this by looking at it with a spectrum analyzer. This is different from the Motorola DTR and DLR behavior which requires a radio to receive an acknowledgment from another radio in range in order to continue transmitting. The DTRs and DLRs are easy to test range with; you don't need another person to test with because you'll know if you are in range or not upon pressing PTT. You will get an error tone if a transmitting DTR/DLR radio doesn't receive an acknowledgement from another DTR/DLR radio in range.

I found it is best to use the Sonim Direct Mode app while in Airplane mode. The app has a "knife switch" setting to automatically put the phone in airplane mode when using the app. Normal network connectivity is restored upon exiting the app. I found using the app when NOT in airplane mode causes audio dropouts here and there. I also found the module to be sensitive to the state of charge in the battery. When the battery in one of our phones had less than about 10% charge, the module would frequently stop working and I would have to restart the app to reset and restart the module. The phone was not in airplane mode when I noticed this.

Audio is similar to using a PTToC app and sort of like speakerphone audio when in a voice call. I wish the audio were a little louder though. I want LOUD audio. The AT&T EPTT and Zello apps have louder audio. The Talk Permit Tone (TPT) and voice end tone beeps are less obnoxious than the AT&T EPTT beeps. The app volume is adjusted by the Media volume control on the phone (not the ringer or alarm volumes).

The module makes the phone about an inch taller when installed, not counting the antenna sticking up. I am finding the phone to be more comfortable to hold against my ear when a voice call. I previously didn't like the feel of the earpiece at the top edge of the phone.

The Sonim Direct Mode app is easy to use. The two general modes are channels/codes mode and talkgroup mode. In channels/codes mode, there are 16 available channels with 16 available codes plus a "none" code setting and a Broadcast (All) feature. Given the few channels and few codes available, my gut feeling is that it is not very secure. The specs for the module advertises 256-bit AES symmetric key encryption capability. Maybe that's the "code" when using a code on the channel. I think talkgroup mode is more secure because you have to create the group in all phones that are to be members of the group. The group ID is a bunch of random digits generated by the app. The group ID is entered manually or the app can generate an ID for you by using the "randomize" feature. I created a talkgroup for our phones by creating the group in the first phone and used the app generate a random ID for the group. Then I created a group in the second phone and manually entered the group ID that was created by the first phone. The app also has an "invite" feature where you can send an invitation to another Sonim DM user so they can easily join the group.

The app has text messaging capabilities and I have used it just enough to verify that it works. I would rather use the app to talk than send text messages. The app has some mapping capabilties too but I haven't tried it yet.

The Sonim DM app takes over assignment of the hardware PTT button. With the phone in airplane mode while using the app, the PTT button stays assigned to the app, regardless of whether the phone screen is locked or unlocked or if the app screen is open or not. The nice thing about this is the phone operates like a simple 2-way radio PTT and you don't have to futz around with the phone and the app to use the PTT. The phone screen can stay locked and it just works like a conventional 2-way radio. It behaves differently if NOT using airplane mode with the app. The app takes over assignment of the PTT button when the app screen is open but other apps may change the assignment if you try to use them. The module and app seems to work best with the phone in airplane mode. This is similar to switching to Direct Talk mode in the old NEXTEL phones.

I haven't done any range testing yet but they are keepers. My wife and I have built like a brick expletive-house ruggedized smartphones with 900MHz Direct Mode capability. If I have to replace a phone someday, it will only be replaced with another Sonim ruggedized smartphone.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
Great review. Thank you for posting that. My used XP8 should arrive later this week. I will see if I end up getting one for my wife, or not.

n1das

Excellent. Check out the ruggedized accessories available for the XP8 on Sonim's website.

n1das

I was eyeing up a remote speaker microphone for the XP8.
I have the Klein Valor amplified ruggedized RSM. It has LOUD audio. And good audio while loud too. The RSM is powered by the phone. In addition to the traditional PTT button on the side, the speaker grille is also a PTT button. You can push the grille in to press PTT instead of the side button if you want. The RSM is well made.

n1das

To answer your original question about how Sonim DM compares to the DTRs and DLRs, the DTRs and DLRs have much better audio and more of it. My wife has been complaining of audio dropping out when using Sonim XPand Direct Mode. It is sort of like using speakerphone mode in a cell phone voice call and some of the audio cuts out here and there. We are using Airplane mode when using the DM app. The audio delay with Sonim DM is about the same as the DTRs and DLRs. Overall the DTRs and DLRs work much better.

One thing I want to test is whether they work better when we are farther apart. It sounds counterintuitive but having a very strong received signal can sometimes cause the bit error rate to go up. I've encountered this a couple of times with DMR where my signal would sometimes be garbled when talking into to my own 440 DMR ham repeater when I'm only about 10 feet away from it but no problem at all when further away. The receiver front end is probably getting overloaded by the very strong local signal. I want to test to find out if the same thing is happening with the XPand DM module.

n1das

Great review. Thank you for posting that. My used XP8 should arrive later this week. I will see if I end up getting one for my wife, or not.
JASII,

Did you get your XP8 yet? How is it working out?

JASII

Memory Capacity
N1DAS,

I did get my Sonim XP8. I also bought a years worth of service from Tracfone for about $50.00. I have really only used it a couple of times. Once, when I went ATVing and it has coverage where my Samsung Galaxy S9 didn't on Total Wireless (Verizon). The other time last week was when I rode my horse into the lake and we went swimming. I figured the Sonim XP8 would be better at water-resistance. It worked great both times, too!

Is there anything new on the Sonim XP8 XPand Direct Mode? Hopefully, it is still serving you well!

Jim
NØJS

n1das

N1DAS,

I did get my Sonim XP8. I also bought a years worth of service from Tracfone for about $50.00. I have really only used it a couple of times. Once, when I went ATVing and it has coverage where my Samsung Galaxy S9 didn't on Total Wireless (Verizon). The other time last week was when I rode my horse into the lake and we went swimming. I figured the Sonim XP8 would be better at water-resistance. It worked great both times, too!

Is there anything new on the Sonim XP8 XPand Direct Mode? Hopefully, it is still serving you well!

Jim
NØJS

Good to hear you are happy with the XP8. The full phone model is actually XP8800. That's what you see from me when I post from Tapatalk.

I haven't had an opportunity to do more testing with our XPand DM modules yet. I found that the antenna is removable and has an SMA connector. I was able to trim down a Motorola 806-941MHz 1/4 wave antenna and put it on the module. The Motorola antenna was a spare antenna for my Motorola DTR650 radios.

Sonim_XP8_XPand_DM_antenna.jpg

Now it will be easier to tell my wife's XP8 phone and my XP8 phone apart. :D

n1das

I'm leaving the stock antenna on the XPand DM module. It is so much more compact and has a weatherproof seal. I had to trim the jacket around the connector on the Motorola antenna to put it on the module. The Motorola antenna also doesn't seal the connector from weather.

The good news is that the antenna is replaceable and other antennas are possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.