Sonoma County Public Safety Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityNewsSupport

City News Support
Premium Subscriber
Hello All

Looks like Santa Rosa Police Is now working off a Project 25 Phase II System! I Programed this Site in and the Audio is very Clear:) My question is this the Future of Sonoma County? As in Cities up and down Highway 101?

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Marin County is in slow-growth transition to a 700 MHz multi-site trunked radio system.

I'm not sure what the plan is for Sonoma County, but I'm going to guess with their terrain, 700 MHz won't be the best fit. I could be wrong.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Time will tell. Santa Rosa really JUMPED on that P25 700 bandwagon real quick!

Regards,

-Frank C.

RussH

Looking at the price tag for Marin County's new system and the fact they are half the size of Sonoma County, I would bet it will be a LONG time before Sonoma County would entertain transitioning to a 700 MHz system. I would anticipate, at the County level, they will remain on UHF for a long time to come. Also, given the fact that most of the County's law channels are still UHF, I'm sure they are worried about future interoperability with the smaller police agencies as well.

CityNewsSupport

City News Support
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the price tag for Marin County's new system and the fact they are half the size of Sonoma County, I would bet it will be a LONG time before Sonoma County would entertain transitioning to a 700 MHz system. I would anticipate, at the County level, they will remain on UHF for a long time to come. Also, given the fact that most of the County's law channels are still UHF, I'm sure they are worried about future interoperability with the smaller police agencies as well.
It is my experience that when a new system is built and used it is a Multi Department effort Such as Solano Counties New 700 System Or the System shared by Alameda & Contra Costa Counties. I Suspect a lot of Federal cash is involved:) Should be interesting to watch:)

RussH

Yes SRPD did jump on it very fast! Normally it seems Multipol departments share a System Like Sacramento, Solano & The East bay! This is the first one department system I have encountered:)
Given that they are now the only 700MHz (much less trunked) system in the County, it makes the decision even more interesting. I wonder if that isn't the reason that they are still patching their new system to their old channels.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Given that they are now the only 700MHz (much less trunked) system in the County, it makes the decision even more interesting. I wonder if that isn't the reason that they are still patching their new system to their old channels.

That's usually standard operating procedure when moving to a new radio system. You simulcast the old into the new while all subscriber radios are transitioned. They *may* keep their main dispatch repeater on the air for outside agencies to access, or they may keep it in "knock-down" mode and only turn it on when needed. If allied agencies have multi-band radios, there's no need to keep the analog repeater up after SRPD completes their transition.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like most officers at least in patrol vehicles are on the 700 system at this point. About half the portables seem as if they've switched over.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.