Sony ICF-2010 error.3 advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modrachlan

Good morning,

I recently purchased a Sony ICF-2010, supposedly completely electrically dead. Knowing that power is a bugaboo on this model (I've had four now), I immediately went in for surgery and found, as suspected, the wire soldered to the AA battery holder connecting it to the motherboard was completely separated. I resoldered it and, yippee, it works! It's even a dreaded early model that has not lost its front end. Performance has been fab, pretty much as expected. But it still has the intermittent Error.3 problem.

I noticed that the case appears to have warped over time. Even with all the screws tightened down, there's a bit of play that I am sure is responsible. so I feel like I need to take more drastic measures- directly connecting the D cell clip to the "batt" board. I'm just wondering if anyone has taken such drastic measures and what seemed to work best.

I'm tempted to send this on to Kiwa and just let them do their magic, because I don't want to ruin anything. But on the other hand, it seems like a great opportunity to learn.

modrachlan

Just a quick update- I purchased a new screwdriver with a hard metal driver, thin shaft and firm grip. loosened all the case screws, then re-tightened them. Tried extra-hard to be careful and not strip a head or break a mount. Amazingly, contact is now absolutely fine, no Error.3 anymore.

???

I wonder if in other cases, if there is slight case warpage, just loosening screws and re-tightening them would help!

Boombox

Spring loaded contacts... Some of the Sangean models have similar issues, notably the Sangean 803A / DX-440, and it's possible the 818 models could develop that also. Either the solder pad loses solder from being scratched away, or the spring contact loses a little springiness.

Permanent solution is to hard wire the battery to the PCB, at least with the Sangean radios that have this issue.

Glad you were able to get your radio working.

Status
Not open for further replies.