Sony ICF-SW7600GR portable revisited - SSB hint

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Wow - what a difference 13 years makes when you purchase it again. :)

This has been reviewed elsewhere so I won't go into a lot of detail on the features.

I got one of these when they first appeared and was generally happy with it. However, on ssb it warbled just a little bit, and not on every signal. I put up with it and attributed it to just being a portable - albeit a good one.

Over the years, I've been through a number of other portables, some good, some bad, but ultimately they all left the roost to make money for other gear.

Today I purchased it again, but obviously this one is MUCH later in the production chain and SSB was stable! What??

Looks like my first one had the warble problem documented here (thanks Stephan!)
The Sony 7600 series page: Modifications

I'm glad my new unit has corrected this issue! I'm stoked, since the good build-quality is just so nice to behold, the audio sounds GOOD. It is still a portable to be sure, but now that ssb is fixed, I think I'll be hanging on to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

greedo24

I've got a "7600" and I'm very happy with it. Especially when it's hooked up to my mag loop antenna. I've yet to go way out into the sticks and run a beverage antenna, but with the portability of this unit I can definitely see that happening in the future.

G

nanZor

That link above contains some fantastic info on the whole 7600 series and more.

The difference between the 7600GR I got back in 2001 and the one I got today is amazing. I got a feeling that perhaps I wasn't the first owner back then, but maybe got a return - dunno'.

I honored this one by having the first SW station ever heard on it be NHK on 11970 "Japan Focus" program. HF air monitoring netted a JAL aircraft on 10057 usb getting a selcal check with SFO Radio as my first utility on it. It even hunted down a bad switching supply for my cellphone tucked away behind a desk. Good times!

Magloops rock - I may even homebrew one of my old shielded coaxial loops again since the 7600gr seems to have gain to spare.

Reminded myself about not touching the sunken black screw for the telescoping antenna if holding it in your left hand - being sunken, it is not always apparent that you are detuning the whip that way. :)

greedo24

Yeah, I've been able to hear aircraft out over the Atlantic from my QTH on the West side of Michigan. That's just with the 5m wire antenna that came with the unit. I've heard NHK before, too, but I think it was coming from a transmitter in the Caribbean.

nanZor

One thing I'm kind of worried about is the powered external antenna jack and if shorting it accidentally would kill the radio - so I'm going to be careful.

I've got to imagine that Sony would not let a short there kill the radio - perhaps some sort of current sensing (aside from a dead short) enable the voltage. I'm going to have to dig into that and find out just in case...

greedo24

Looking at the block diagram in the service manual it doesn't appear that they run any power to the external antenna jack. Grounding the antenna would only result in loss of signal the way it looks.

nanZor

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I need to buy a new one as well. My 7600GR took a nasty fall and has finally passed the point where I can patch up the years of rough use. Few portables would had lasted as long as this one had.

You are correct that it is a very sensitive and usable radio. I never had an issue with side band stability, but always found it very touchy.

One thing that I always enjoyed with mine was the quality and fidelity of FM broadcast audio through the headphones. You can really tell which stations are using nasty compression, but when you find one that has good quality broadcasts, Whoa! It really can put a new dimension even on repetitive Album rock stations, oldies, and whatever else in on FM.

if only it had a tuning dial.......

nanZor

If you have your heart set on a replacement, I wouldn't wait too long as being the last of their shortwave line, it stopped being manufactured a few years ago from what I understand, and as luck would have it, if I wanted to replace or get a backup for myself, that would be the day the supply dried up. :)

It is still the pinnacle of quality construction for small shortwave portables despite being so long in the tooth. I look upon it with honor actually as it represents an era of corporate pride that is long gone with other manufacturers these days. If you get a new one, treat it well!

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
If you have your heart set on a replacement, I wouldn't wait too long as being the last of their shortwave line, it stopped being manufactured a few years ago from what I understand, and as luck would have it, if I wanted to replace or get a backup for myself, that would be the day the supply dried up. :)

It is still the pinnacle of quality construction for small shortwave portables despite being so long in the tooth. I look upon it with honor actually as it represents an era of corporate pride that is long gone with other manufacturers these days. If you get a new one, treat it well!

I will grab one after the holidays. Lots of priorities right now, but I appreciate the input!

Will treat it gingerly too. My last one was never really abused. It just had a tough life, rough and extreme environments, etc.

Honestly all this one really needs is the wires to the ferrite bar re-soldered to the board and a new back plate. Outside of that, it is in fine shape. It has held up well but if I cannot pick up MW, and FM/SW is intermittent due to the back plate giving me issues with the whip antenna, then it really is no good. Any ideas on someone who can repair this?

SCPD

QRT
Skip the Sony and go with the Sangean ATS-909x. It's slightly larger and thicker than the 7600GR but it's audio output is deliciously good. It has a true USB/LSB function (no more BFO!) and is well worth the money. I have both and the *only* point the Sony scores is in size/compactness.

Key points about the 909x:

1. Super long telescopic antenna
2. Recharge batteries inside the radio
3. True USB/LSB performance
4. 40hz fine tune steps
5. Incredible audio output
6. Gorgeous display
7. Backlight is very good
8. Wide/Narrow bandwidth filters
9. RDS
10. Clean, efficient design
11. Built-in battery charger (just supply rechargeable batteries)

Picky points against the 909x:

1. A little chunky in size/weight (compared to say Sony 7600GR)
2. Display requires 45 deg angle (can't view straight-on)

nanZor

That 909X is a GREAT receiver. And, it is probably the ONLY unit out there that incorporates a battery charger that charges quick (not super fast) and safely. I was impressed with the internal charger, and low-noise filtering of the included wall wart. Someone at Sangean was paying attention!

My only thought is that while performance and convenience was better than the Sony, my 909x died early on ssb, which is what I used it for the majority of the time. Like all things, perhaps I just got unlucky, but still, the question of quality control of Sony vs Sangean may come into play. Having something that nice fail made me so angry. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Either way, treat both of them nicely. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.