Soon to Own ID-51A and DVAP - Anything I Should Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2txb

I expect tomorrow will be the day of delivery for a two month old ID-51A and DVAP that I bought online last week. Are there any tip[s/tricks I should know in setting it all up?

My plan is to use the DVAP with the ThinkPad T61 and Wi-Fi into my home 802.11g network, and maybe use it "portable" on other Wi-Fi networks as well. Ideally, at home, being able to run it directly from the Netgear N900's USB port would be great, but probably not workable at this point.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I can recommend is registering your callsign to get your static IP address assignment. More information can be found on the 'net' about D-Star registration if you are not aware of it.

Mike, KE5MC

w2txb

Only thing I can recommend is registering your callsign to get your static IP address assignment. More information can be found on the 'net' about D-Star registration if you are not aware of it.

Mike, KE5MC

Got that done a few days ago; the guy who handles it for the club where I registered got back to me within less than an hour, and (I believe) all is ready for me to get on the air.

As I read through the manuals for the radio and the DVAP, it may be simpler to do than I first thought. Within the next few days, I will know. If not for having to work Monday night, I would probably set it all up and be on the air right away.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Excellent! Looks like that part of NY is a little thin on DStar stacks for direct access and the DVAP will be key.

Good Luck!

Mike

Bill1957

ID51 DVAP

Both are great-Love the ID51. The DVAP can go with you anywhere a high speed internet connection is available.Have DVAP,will travel!!!
DVAP needs to run through the computer.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I use a Banana Pi + DV Mega with my Icom ID-51A and I love it. But as was suggested I highly recommend a Raspberry Pi and your DVAP. Works an absolutely treat.

w2txb

Been using the ID-51A with the DVAP... not difficult to set up and use. Coverage with the DVAP at home is ~1/4 mile or so.

There are indeed very few D-STAR repeaters in my immediate area, although one of the clubs has put up a local machine at Geneva, NY that I will try when in that area again.

The Raspberry Pi looks interesting - need to research that a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.