Sound Cutting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

claybarnes

Got my 'cat 996T programmed and listening to the action. However, I'm noticing that the sound sometimes is distorted and cutting out some. This is my first experience with 800 mhz. Is this normal. I checked out the troubleshooting pages and came up with changing to a type 1 setup. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
claybarnes said:
... This is my first experience with 800 mhz. Is this normal.
No, it is not normal. Make sure that you don't have anything on, like Close Call, Priority, etc. Umm, even if you were monitoring a Type I or Type II Hybrid set as a Type II, it would not cut out...the symptom of that is you don't hear the replies all the time. Cutting out means that during a transmission, the signal goes away completely during the transmission.

claybarnes

Thanks

Thanks, I checked what you suggested, Its like you can hear a sentence and then it will drop off. Also it seems like it will pick up in the middle of a transmission. I turned on the attenuator to see if that might help. So far I've heard nothing so I will probobly have to turn that back off. Hope I don't have a defective unit. Think I'll turn to our ham club repeater and check it out. I'm putting up an outside antenna tommorow. Any other suggestions from anyone? I' listenining. Thanks!!

greenmamba

sound cutting out

Yea, I have a 396t and have this same issue.
From my experience i notice this more with digital systems. With the old analog it would simply get staticiy..

May be cause the signal droping below a certain threshold.

Also the DISPATCH is always loud and clear, so I figure it is due the the end users radio and location.

I will hear some locations gurgle/warble and drop but hear the same officer 10 minutes later at another location loud and clear.

You may want to try different antennas..

my 2 cents

Smith29180

That seems to be a problem that several of us are having.Some have it during trunking scans Some during Conventional scans. Mine did it with both.One post I read someone (sorry I cant remember who it was) Suggested setting the hold to like 20. I tried this but with over 70% mem used up it just takes too long to scan thru. Today I was messing around and set hold to 0 and delay to 4 sec and I am very happy with the results. Before I was missing about 50% of the conversations that the Pro 97 was picking up now I am have almost have a stereo effect .HTH
Ron

greenmamba

Thanks,
Smith29180
Now that you mentioned it I also changed the delay as you pointed out and did help in the drops, but the warble/garble did not seem improved too much at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.