BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Sound Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajfan1999

Been using my external speaker on the BCD996XT and today I unplugged the external speaker and now I have no sound coming from the built in speaker. Cannot seem to find out why, it worked when I first got it new? Any ideas?

wtp

bad jack

even back with my 396t had the sane problem
try plugging the plug in and out a couple of times.
if it works good , if not use the external speaker.
when doing this have what would be a steady sound from the radio ie. squelch tripped,weather,fm radio

Last edited:

wtp

its just bent metal

the connection is made and broken by a piece of bent metal and the smallest bit of corrosion or dirt and it is not made. my 396 will just get quiet once and awhile and my girlfriends has done it twice in three years or so.
you could spend 50 to 60 to have another jack put in by uniden or use the external and use the money saved to buy another scanner.
i am always in favor of buying more radios.
others here have talked about a blown speaker, but most just send the radio away and it is not confirmed.

Anvil

Premium Subscriber
There is a thread in the archives (Uniden Thread Archives) about this problem that offers a fix that may solve the problem. It is titled "BCD996T, no sound from speaker." Break out your soldering iron. The thread is for the 996T so I'm not sure if the remedy would work on the XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.