Sound off

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
How many active scanners user are still on this site for washington State I myself have a pile of them not as active as I used to be.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
I still enjoy scanning, I have a 536 I use in the Big truck. I enter the zip code at my rest stops and listen to the local radio traffic.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
I still check the database/forums daily. Thought I had an alert setup specifically for the Washington sub-forum but guess not since I didn't see this til today. I use a HP-2 in my car commuting and an SDS200 at home. I'm currently trying to map out a local PUD DMR Tier 3 system, and an NXDN system in the area. I'd like to be more active in finding stuff and submitting database changes to keep things current.

WB9YBM

How many active scanners user are still on this site for washington State I myself have a pile of them not as active as I used to be.

I think the same can be said of other states, as well. Even before a lot of states/systems went digital and not everyone is willing (or financially able) to get digital scanners, a lot of radio traffic had gone to 'cell phones.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I travel up there all the time. I bought a p25 phase II capable scanner for my most recent trip. The PSR-500 isn't enough in WA.

K7SCH

Still listening to my local trunked channels, a little frustrated with the way some are dispatched; for example my fire is dispatched through Valley Com now and I really don't like listening to everything when I only want to hear what is going on in my city, and my city PD is dispatched through South Sound 911 and I have to listen to calls on the other end of the county when all I want to hear is a specific city.

storm777

Premium Subscriber
Hey Lowboy, I'm still active down here in Tacoma. I pretty much limit my monitoring to Tacoma/Pierce Co. (BCD325p2) and Seattle/King Co. (BCD396XT) during the nicer months. Now that the weather is turning, I'll have more going on such as MilAir.

--John

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Still listening to my local trunked channels, a little frustrated with the way some are dispatched; for example my fire is dispatched through Valley Com now and I really don't like listening to everything when I only want to hear what is going on in my city, and my city PD is dispatched through South Sound 911 and I have to listen to calls on the other end of the county when all I want to hear is a specific city.
Are you listening on your own scanner (and not via streaming)?
If so, you should be able to program your scanner to pick up what you want. Or are you saying that ValleyCom is dispatching "too much" and you don't like having to hear "other" stuff?

K7SCH

Are you listening on your own scanner (and not via streaming)?
If so, you should be able to program your scanner to pick up what you want. Or are you saying that ValleyCom is dispatching "too much" and you don't like having to hear "other" stuff?
For the trunked channels I listen on my own scanners; my FD is dispatched through Fire 1 then they transition to Fire 2, 3, 4 etc, but to hear the call for my station I have to listen to fire one and hear everyone else's dispatch as well then transfer to the other Fire talk group to hear the remainder of the call.

For my PD (Buckley) I do not yet have a digital scanner so I use sites for monitoring, but Buckley is now dispatched through Pierce County Sheriff West so I have to listen to everyone else dispatched all the way out to Gig Harbor.

I just wish it was back in the day where my city had a freq for FD and PD and I could just tune into them.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
For the trunked channels I listen on my own scanners; my FD is dispatched through Fire 1 then they transition to Fire 2, 3, 4 etc, but to hear the call for my station I have to listen to fire one and hear everyone else's dispatch as well then transfer to the other Fire talk group to hear the remainder of the call.
That's normal these days. And while many calls (on ch 1) might be boring, I certainly wouldn't want to miss that BIG call that happens to be near me but outside my normal area of interest.

For my PD (Buckley) I do not yet have a digital scanner so I use sites for monitoring, but Buckley is now dispatched through Pierce County Sheriff West so I have to listen to everyone else dispatched all the way out to Gig Harbor.
You should be ecstatic that you can even monitor your LE at all. For many people this is no longer possible.

My dad lives in the Spanaway area and has a scanner running 24/7 for years (if not decades). I remember the day he called to tell me that Pierce Sheriff went quiet. If we look back decades there have been many changes. This is just the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.