Sound Quality Online vs. Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mncorrado

I have a question or two related to sound quality...

I used to have a RS Pro 2096 in the pre digital days that I really loved. I sold it once the conversion to the trunked began on Ebay.

So I have the itch again to listen in... I have been listening to the online feeds hereon radioreference.com. While it took me about an hour or two to relearn how to make out the transmissions it still seems the quality of the sound is 'garbly' at times. There seems to be some distortion to everything that was not encountered in the RS 2096 days.

Ultimately I am curious if the sound quality is being degraded in some manner due to the streaming of the feed online. Or is the sound quality comparable to what really comes out of a $500 ish scanner.

I just want to know what I am getting into... I don't want to spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment to be immediately disappointed with the sound quality.

I appreciate any help or guidance on this... When I have been considering a new scanner the ones I have been looking at are the GRE-600 scanner and the RS Pro-197.

I live in Roseville not that it matters.

Thanks!
Jeff

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
There are alot of things that could be effecting what you're hearing online. They could be suffering from bandwidth problems or your computer could be having issues with it too. There is also the possibility that the scanner providing the feed isnt getting a good signal. Theres alot of things that can effect how it is recieved by the scanner. But for the most part and in my experience if you are getting a good signal to the scanner the audio is usually pretty good. But keep in mind digital does have a different "sound" to it than analog.

mncorrado

Thanks!

Hey thanks... I understand what you are saying.

I have not purchased anything yet. Just was exploring some options. What I should probably do is attend one your local scanner group meetings. I don't live too far away from where they are.

Jeff

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
That would be an excellent idea. There is usually a nice variety of scanners there that people are more than willing to let you try out.

guitarbrian30

woogie - does have a good point about the scanner feeds. audio in and out do effect everything.

I had to put a j-pole antennae on my roof to pick up the towers and reduce the amount of garbling that I was hearing. In Minnehaha county we are starting to get more feeds up. which us feed providers are covering most of the area twice or three times. You know the action stuff. PD. and FD :)

I live outside of sioux falls so I try to set up my feed to reflect what I want to listen too. I also have other things my scanner is scanning such as DOT, state fire and etc.

I encourage you to ask around and sample some other feeds. Alot has changed in the scanner pricing. but the hobby has not. I love listening to plows getting stuck in the snow. good note not to take that road.

I plan on attending a few of the meeting myself in the cities. Better then staying inside and doing nothing.

Happy scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.