• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Sound through car speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finto

I have a radioshack pro 162 that I want to mount into my toyota corolla. I am thinking of putting in a new stereo head unit and was wondering if there is any way to get it so I can listen to my scanner through the car stereo speakers? Possibly a stereo that supports a headphone jack in or one of those devices that you hook an ipod up to the transmits a signal on an FM frequency that the stereo picks up>?

DPD1

Absolutely the iPod transmitter or a model that has a line in for iPod type players would work fine. iRiver sells one of the transmitters. Or sometimes some models have an aux input on the rear for external devices. Either way, you would just need the right patch cord.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

KC9JUM

Feed Provider
It used to be, you could use one of those cassette deck adapters. It was in the form of a tape with a stereo cord on it.

jpm

i myself use the aux. line in that is on my car radio sounds great, but no radio.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
what model car radio has and aux in?

There are a bunch that have that option now, thanks to the various MP3 players on the market. I used to have the same model awia CD player in my car and truck, worked fine and was less than $100 even four years ago. I don't see them around that often (the awia brand), but they were a low budget sony as the paperwork that came with it was all marked as sony.

There are more and more factory stereos that have 1/8' inputs as well.

boyledad

I prefer cassette adapters because the FM transmitters tend to amplify static AND bring in outside interference. If you're buying a new stereo go for one with an input so you can hook up direct. Don't go cheap just so you can band-aid it with a transmitter.

Even the cheapest scanner with a direct hook-up to the stereo will sound perfect. It's not stereo sound, but with equalizer properly adjusted and front and back speakers going you won't miss a single word.

I have a kenwood (don't remember the model off the top of my head) got it from crutchfield It has an aux input right in the front of the unit, you can listen to an ipod or scanner or whatever through the car speakers. I have a picture I think posted on here from last year of the unit, if not I can send it to you if you are interested

Finto

Thanks. Wow I haven't been on Crutchfield's websight in a long time! It looks like a lot of the new car stereos have Aux inputs in the front.

WD4JKH

I prefer cassette adapters because the FM transmitters tend to amplify static AND bring in outside interference. If you're buying a new stereo go for one with an input so you can hook up direct. Don't go cheap just so you can band-aid it with a transmitter.

Even the cheapest scanner with a direct hook-up to the stereo will sound perfect. It's not stereo sound, but with equalizer properly adjusted and front and back speakers going you won't miss a single word.
SATERN
Skywarn

Did you hear about the two thunderstorms that got divorced?

She got the rain and he got the shaft.

I used one of those cassette adapters with my Alinco dual band handheld. The radio had a speaker jack that split the audio so I had VHF from one set of speakers and UHF out of the other. As pointed out, the drawback was you can't listen to music at the same time.

-------------

Did you hear about the two antenna that met on the roof, fell in love and got married?

The wedding wasn't much to speak of but the reception was great!

spooney

I have a radioshack pro 162 that I want to mount into my toyota corolla. I am thinking of putting in a new stereo head unit and was wondering if there is any way to get it so I can listen to my scanner through the car stereo speakers? Possibly a stereo that supports a headphone jack in or one of those devices that you hook an ipod up to the transmits a signal on an FM frequency that the stereo picks up>?

I use an FM wireless transmitter with my factory Ford Escape radio. Fast and easy hook-up. I got this one on clearance for 20 bucks recently at R/S : http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ansmitter&kw=fm+transmitter&parentPage=search

KC0QNB

I have a SCOSCHE transmitter that works fine it will transmit from my basement on the east side of the house to my car in the street on the west side no static at all.

Navycop

I use a gadget that plugs into the cigarette light and the scanner. You set it to a FM station that has static. Then the sound will come out the speakers.
Also I have an old phonograph speaker I would like to hook up to my scanner (PRO-95). Is there a way I can "AMP" it up? I got it were I can plug a mono plug into the headphone jack. I turn the scanner all the way up and I can still bearly hear the scanner.

Last edited:
I use a gadget that plugs into the cigarette light and the scanner. You set it to a FM station that has static. Then the sound will come out the speakers.
Also I have an old phonograph speaker I would like to hook up to my scanner (PRO-95). Is there a way I can "AMP" it up? I got it were I can plug a mono plug into the headphone jack. I turn the scanner all the way up and I can still bearly hear the scanner.

Cheaper than an amp these days are the small bookshelf computer speakers that use mini plug instead of usb input.

Status
Not open for further replies.