sounds like every brand scanner sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolnCode3

I've had one I've been using for a few years. Sounds like something beyond "it sucks".

Every scanner has some type of issue. The -2055 has a display issue that has been well documented. Do a search and you'll find discussions on it.

DPD1

I've never been a huge RS fan, but still sounds like maybe you've had bad luck. That's happened to me a few times when it comes to electronics. I had to return about 5 TV monitors one time years ago. Every single one I got had something wrong with it. Sometimes the electronics gods just aren't looking out for you. I've got Uniden radios 15 years old that still work fine though.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

CLTX11

Another Uniden fan, absolutely nothing wrong! :lol:

DPD1 said:
I've never been a huge RS fan, but still sounds like maybe you've had bad luck. That's happened to me a few times when it comes to electronics. I had to return about 5 TV monitors one time years ago. Every single one I got had something wrong with it. Sometimes the electronics gods just aren't looking out for you. I've got Uniden radios 15 years old that still work fine though.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

SCPD

QRT
I have always had a RS hand held scanner since 1993...starting with the Pro 34 all the way thru the Pro 96 & 97 now.... have had a few problems but can't be beat for the prices :)

w8mkh

pro 2001 from about 81 still working
pro 2004,2005,2006 still working almost 20 years later
pro 27 30 yrs and still on every day
many unidens still chugging along
there are problems with a few of the scanners that i have had over the years but mostly good
my pro 2055 1 year and still working fingers crossed
the worst scanner was a bearcat 300 had trouble with it all the time
but one bad egg......
73 mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
No scanner manufacture, or product has been without any problems. Both Radio Shack branded scanners (GRE & Uniden), and Uniden have had their share of defects, and bugs. Which makes me wonder how long before the GRE labeled scanners will share similar problems, considering they're been unable to correct the issues with the scanners they manufacture for Radio Shack.

It all boils down to one thing...CHINA! It's all crap! :evil:

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
lol. i had to laugh. 1 single scanner (and it just so happens to be a well known problem stricken scanner) and suddenly EVERY brand sucks.

Last edited:

af5rn

I've owned a butt-load of scanners of all makes over the last thirty-five years, and almost all of them just up and died with no warning. Realistic, Rat Shack, Uniden, Bearcat, Regency... all of them eventually peter out. The only scanners I have had stand the test of time are old crystal-controlled scanners and a Uniden BC890xlt that I bought from the open-box return bin fifteen years ago. Almost makes me consider if maybe I should buy all my scanners used.

Too bad the BC890xlt was a crap scanner to begin with.

CStarr59

I've owned RS, Uniden and GRE and I have never had a problem with any of them. Granted the pro-2055 has well documented display problems, so why buy one and then complain when the display stops working. I always research before I buy an item, it pays off in the long run.

lugoffman

DPD1 said:

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

I Think you are right I got a uniden and at first it sucked then I realised that it wasn't the radio that sucked it was me that sucked at electronics. And now that I read the book it all makes since alittle , but I will soon get it. Also I have had a lot of problems out of the radio shack scanners and I had to take 6 of them back before I could get a good one later found out they was giving me scanners that was the display scanners that everyone had handeled in the store and had been droped several times due to customer handeling them. I got a pro164 now and works real good .

Lakotawolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I`ve never had problem with my Uniden scanners. I`ve been scanning for 20yrs. About 3 years back i got a pro-97 never had a problem with it either. Now i just bought a PSR 500 and so far all seems well.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack scanners

On one hand, I have several scanners from circa 1975 that I am still running (see my tag line) and have no problems at all. OTOH, many of the newer scanners are filled with hardware issues and software bugs. When you consider that my PRO-10, for example, cost $180 brand new over 30 years ago, and the latest non-digital scanner costs about the same; you must realize that you get what you pay for. That $180 back 30+ years ago is a lot more in today's money.

So as I see it, the prices have remained about the same; the features and complexities have increased. Then you add China in the mix for manufacturing and it is no wonder people are complaining.

re;; #10 Today, 10:24 AM
ScanTheFreqs
Member Join Date: Apr 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol. i had to laugh. 1 single scanner (and it just so happens to be a well known problem stricken scanner) and suddenly EVERY brand sucks.

laugh all you want.i'm just going by all the info on this board...

i have had my pro-44 for 20 years...the only reason i went with rs...anyway i returned the 2055 and got the pro-433...we'll see

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
You never did say why it quit? Did the screen go bad or did it just fail? I had to take a 2055 back to the store after the screen failed. They exchanged it no questions asked, that is why I really like Rat Shack. Unfortunately, you traded down when you got the 433. It is a good scanner but you won't have the capability to enter alpha tags for the frequencies or enter CTCSS or DCS tone codes. The later are very handy if you are traveling as they help eliminate your squelch opening when you get in the area of pager towers and other intermod interference.

All scanners are inherently not as good as the real thing. A PSR-500 digital scanner just can't compare to the sound quality of an XTS-5000 for instance. But the affordability, flexibility and features they offer more than make up the difference in my opinion.

Mark

rabidmoose57

No problems except the operator!

I've run Radio Shack stuff for 32 years now. No real problems except for my skills in understanding the manual! Still can't update the firmware in the 2096 with my addition of VISTA!!! Sigh......Should have gone with XP.

af5rn

rabidmoose57 said:
I've run Radio Shack stuff for 32 years now. No real problems except for my skills in understanding the manual!
I haven't bought a Rat Shack radio in probably fifteen years now. Did they ever get somebody who actually speaks English to start writing their user manuals? :lol:

DPD1

lugoffman said:
I Think you are right I got a uniden and at first it sucked then I realised that it wasn't the radio that sucked it was me that sucked at electronics. And now that I read the book it all makes since alittle , but I will soon get it. Also I have had a lot of problems out of the radio shack scanners and I had to take 6 of them back before I could get a good one later found out they was giving me scanners that was the display scanners that everyone had handeled in the store and had been droped several times due to customer handeling them.

You really gotta watch the guys in some of those outlets. I'm not saying all are shady, but seems like a lot are. I went to get a G5 from them a while back. The one near me had one out. I told him I'd take one. So he walks over and starts putting the one on display on the counter and ringing it up. I said... I don't want that one, I want a boxed one. He looks at me like I'm a total a$% and goes in the back... Comes back out and says they don't have anymore. I said... OK, well can you call a couple others and see who does? The other guy pulls him aside and they have a little powwow. He tells me to hold on one minute, takes the radio in the back with him, then comes back out with a boxed radio and says he found a new one after all. I just started laughing at him and told him he must be use to getting some really stupid customers in there, and then walked out. I went to another store and found one.

But as far as stuff screwing up, I also take pretty good care of stuff, which might make a difference. I actually buy little hard cases with foam for most radios. They're pretty cheap at Frys or someplace like that, and you can pretty much drop them on the ground and not break anything. I have friends though that can't keep anything running. After just a month their device looks like it went to Iraq and back.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.