Source for Scanner rear power barrel connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

Well - my home monitoring area is up to about 15 scanners and two way chargers that utilize mostly large power adapters and simply take up too much room on my power strips! For the items that take 12 volts, I would like to wire them up directly to one of the several Astron power supplies I have running. This would not only allow me to clean up the mess of wires and "wallwarts" around, but also give me a master control on/off power switch.

I need the barrel connectors that Uniden scanners take, without buying the entire cigarette lighter adapter - just the barrel connector and some cord. Anyone have an idea for a source on these? Seems like all Uniden base/mobile scanners I have take the same size connector so I assume they are pretty standard.

I guess something like this that scanner world sells, but for cheaper than $5 each + S&H.

125mpc.original.jpg

Thayne

Radio shack has the barrel connectors as do most electronic dist like Mouser, but they can be time consuming to solder and make sure they are properly done so they can't easily short out; if I do it I use different sizes of heat shrink. I think it is better if you can get them for $5 ea to do it and avoid the hassle. (Unless you have lots more time than money) :lol:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have found them at hamfests for a buck a piece, sometimes a bag of them for less. I always make sure I have a bunch on hand!

I thought about making cables using soldered on connectors but I felt more comfortable using molded connectors, a testament to my poor soldering skills. I can crimp with the best of them however, thus my PowerPoles!

In my shack I have about 15 radios and 10 or so accessories that use these barrel connectors as well as 8 RS/GRE radios that use their style. When I converted to a Power Pole system some time ago I made bundles of 4-6 cables as well as a few specialty connectors for other radios that use different cables. This also allowed me to eliminate all but a couple wall-warts and I use 2 smaller power supplies (30A Samlux for scanners and a 30 amp Moto branded Astron for the two-ways). I still need a couple 9 or 6 volt wall-warts to power my HP1, DC442 etc.

KJ6HCB

Nice, sounds like what Id like to do. I have an Astron 30A for my transmitting radios and an Astron 10A Id like to use for scanners.

Im also using Powerpole connections and thought of doing 4-6 cords into a connector and making some cables like that.

JIG post some pics of your shack!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

KJ6HCB

Just measured - the 3 Uniden Scanners I have here right now - BC780XLT, BCT15 and BCT148XLT all use the 5.5mm (OD) 2.1mm (pin dia) sized jack. I will probably purchase the ones with 4 foot leads coming off to make it look cleaner than having to splice close to the connector.... but Im going to keep hunting for a bit.

Thanks for the links!

AC9BX

Virtually all of the various barrel connectors can be acquired from DigiKey but they have a minimum order, $25 I believe.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Digikey is a great source, if you have the minimum order. Mouser, last I checked, didn't have a minimum order.

It might cost a little more, but you could get scanner power cables with PowerPoles on the other end, and a power distribution setup. (PowerWerx carries them, as do others.)

Obviously, make sure your voltages and polarities are correct.

KJ6HCB

Heh.... at $8 each for a 3 foot cord.... thats the reason Im making my own ;)

3 barrel connectors for $1.99 shipped, a Powerpole connector at about 20 cents and 5 minutes of time and I have a 3 way Powerpole scanner cord for less than $3.

Thanks though!

Status
Not open for further replies.