South Bend IN Fire on Cook County Radio???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
I was scanning through some Cook County Interop channels and I heard a fire tone out on V-Metro 3 (153.770, Old CFD Main Channel). When I heard the first tone out, I didn't catch the address of the call. When I heard another tone-out, I got an address of '5722 South Gotham Drive' and after a search, I got ZERO results for anything in Illinois, let alone Cook County. I listened to a feed on Broadcastify (Saint Joseph County and South Bend Fire) and indeed it was South Bend, IN Fire. Any idea as to what or who it actually was?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes the airwaves can travel far. There's nights I pick up 200-300 miles away.
Yes...I'm aware of propagation like Sporatic-E, Skywave, etc. But, it wasn't any of that. It sounded like someone was patching SBFD onto the channel I mentioned. I also checked the database and didn't see 153.770 listed as a frequency for St. Joseph County or South Bend Fire.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
You may have gotten a unique reception where the signal actually bridge through two more repeaters. Back when CSQ was more common at times I could hear agencies which I never tracked down. Once I heard local Sheriff F2 Base on 155.580 coming back to me on 159.150 which is also a local sheriff main channel.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes the airwaves can travel far. There's nights I pick up 200-300 miles away.

When I had a taller antenna back in the 80's I had no problems hearing anyone on 460 MHz Police channels. Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Omaha and anyone between. Of course now more have moved to 800 trunked,

N9JIG

Sheriff
There was a post a while back that 159.450 was being used as an input to a 153.770 repeater at Tinley Park, and recently there was a database submission with the same. 159.450 is also reported as the input to the SBFD repeater.

While the PL's are different I am going to assume this is the source.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
There was a post a while back that 159.450 was being used as an input to a 153.770 repeater at Tinley Park, and recently there was a database submission with the same. 159.450 is also reported as the input to the SBFD repeater.

While the PL's are different I am going to assume this is the source.
That seems to be a more logical explanation to what I heard. Recently, I noticed that 153.770 is used by Tinley Park for some type of Parks ops...

Status
Not open for further replies.