South Brunswick EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahlio

Last night, one tower site has transitioned from the old freq. to the rebanded freq's 15mhz lower. Being one tower site down, many who use the system have complained that transmissions have been cutting out, or not transmitting. Nothing has been heard on the other freq's besides the control channel. Just figured it's good info.

robbinsj2

South Brunswick has two sites for its EDACS but they aren't simulcast, only one operates at a time. They have switched back and forth as needed or as desired. Being at different locations, the two sites do have different coverage characteristics.

Maybe SB switched the main system from the primary site to the alternate site, so that they could move the primary site to the rebanded frequencies? Switching to the alternate site provides better coverage for the west side and particularly the south-west, but would probably negatively impact coverage on the eastern side of town.

All radios should now be programmed with both pre- and post-rebanding frequencies so the switchover could happen just about any time. No significant talkgroup changes are expected; I haven't heard of any minor ones but I wouldn't be surprised if some are introduced.

Jim

dahlio

So what benefits does switching site locations rather then simulcasting have? What else could have accounted for the poor transmission quality? Any ideas?

robbinsj2

Switching site locations would allow them to take down the primary site for maintenance, upgrades, etc. There are also cell and other public safety and business transmitters very near the primary EDACS site, I don't know if they would switch sites if there is work being done on those antennas. Also, of course, in case the primary site fails they have a full backup ready to go.

Switching sites certainly would impact signal quality in a large part of town, which is why they use the primary site most of the time. There wouldn't necessarily have to be anything else going on to cause the problems you describe.

Do you know what areas were most impacted? I would expect switching to the alternate site would improve service in the Kingston area, be negligible in Kendall Park and Monmouth Junction but with more noticable degradation in buildings in these areas, and possibly hurt service in Deans and Dayton on out towards the turnpike.

Simulcasting would be nice but, I've heard, requires infrastructure upgrades or additional work of some kind to SB's current equipment. From one price tag I heard I believe it is more than just synchronizing the towers, though I don't know how much that would cost.

Jim

Last edited:

Tech792

Tonight at 6pm, South Brunswick PD hit every fire & EMS tone and announced "All radios should now be switched back to system 1". So I guess they're done with the upgrades on the main site.

dahlio

Tonight at 6pm, South Brunswick PD hit every fire & EMS tone and announced "All radios should now be switched back to system 1". So I guess they're done with the upgrades on the main site.

Indeed, an agency transmission was sent at 10am when the actual switchover occured. Seems to have fixed the coverage area problems they were having with the other tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.