South Brunswick Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ88

Any scanner on the market will work for that. If you want to monitor the South Brunswick Trunk System, you'll need one capable of trunk tracking. It's an EDACS system with analog voice, so you won't need to spend big bucks on a digital scanner. However, some other trunk systems in Middlesex County are digital so you wouldn't be able to receive them unless you purchased one that is digital capable. And, to add, some of the agencies that use digital systems encrypt some or all of their transmissions, so even a digital capable scanner wouldn't work for those as there is no scanner on the market that will decode encryption, nor will there ever be, as it is illegal to do so.

There are municipalities that operate on their own conventional (not trunk) systems that use analog voice, so you wouldn't need one that is digital capable for them either.

If you need any more info, post back and we'll try to help you out.

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
No, that scanner will only receive conventional 800 MHz transmissions. You need a trunk-tracking scanner as DJ88 mentioned.

robbinsj2

do you need a trunking scanner to monitor monroe township,nj's fire dispatch frequency:154.43000 and middlesex counties police hotline frequency:453.47500 ?
No and no. Although there are many different users on 154.430 (Monmouth & Mercer counties, locally) and with only a basic scanner you will hear them all. With a more advanced scanner, you can tune out everybody except Monroe Township. Do note that Monroe only does paging on that channel, not full 2-way dispatch communications.

one last question: do you need trunking scanner to monitor franklin township,nj's fire frequency:154.14500 and ems?
No for fire, and no for the EMS paging channel (155.235). You would need a digital trunking scanner to listen to Franklin's 2-way EMS communications.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.267 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The three VHF channels listed for Franklin are simulcasts of the three main fire talkgroups on the trunk system, so any scanner will do (keep in mind that those transmitters are local to just that part of town that the fire district covers. The district 1 & 3 channels might seem weaker than 2 based on the assumption that you live near South Brunswick).

To hear them properly, you're going to need a digital-capable trunk-tracking scanner.

DJ88

No and no. Although there are many different users on 154.430 (Monmouth & Mercer counties, locally) and with only a basic scanner you will hear them all. With a more advanced scanner, you can tune out everybody except Monroe Township.

What Jim is saying here when he mentions a more advanced scanner is one that would allow you to program CTCSS (PL) DCS (DPL) tones along with the frequencies you want to monitor, especially 154.4300 because as Jim mentioned, there are many users on it in New Jersey. Programming the tone that is "assigned" to the frequency allows you to only hear the agency you want to listen to and not the others who use that frequency and are within receiving range of your scanner. Tones for frequencies are listed in the databases here in the Tone column to the right of the frequency column.

If you would like to further understand CTCSS and DCS you can google "explanation of CTCSS and DCS" and ther are some links there that explain it.

robbinsj2

I'm pretty sure they're completely on 156.135 now, though I haven't listened to them in a while. There's another conflict here -- 156.135 is also the Mercer County DPW repeater input. If you get a CTCSS/DCS-capable scanner then you can listen to just Cranbury, but without one you'll hear Cranbury and the Mercer DPW.

Jim

georgesteve

what type of scanner do need to listen to monroe two-way fire, north brunswick's police, fire and ems dispatch, cranbury's police, fire and ems dispatch ,princeton and princeton borough police and ems/fire dispatch and last plainsboro police and ems/fire dispatch?

Last edited:

DJ88

Any scanner would work for all except some of Monroe Twp's operations.

Their fire dispatch frequency (154.4300 DPL 565) is conventional analog. Any scanner would work.
Fire ops frequencies listed in the database are conventional analog so any scanner would work for them if they use them. Everything else for them, including police dispatch and fire and EMS operations, are on a Motorola Type 2 trunk system with both analog and P25 digital voice. There's no indication on the database here as to what is analog and what is digital. But to be safe, I would say you would need a scanner that does both trunk tracking and receives digital voice for that.

There is a talk group on the trunk system listed as EMS dispatch for them but pager alerting cannot be done via a trunk system. It has to be done via a conventional frequency and there is none listed for that on the database here so I don't know how EMS is alerted. Maybe someone who monitors them can shed some light on that for you.

robbinsj2

Look through the database -- if the user is trunked then you will need a trunking-capable scanner. If the user is digital then you will need a digital scanner. If the user is neither trunked nor digital then any scanner will be able to receive them.

To simplify:
All digital scanners can also receive trunked and plain communications.
All trunking scanners can also receive plain communications (but some won't receive digital).
All scanners can receive plain communications (but some won't receive trunking and/or digital).

robbinsj2

Any scanner would work for all except some of Monroe Twp's operations.
And except for North Brunswick PD, which is digital conventional. Also, Monroe Fire Ops are low-power tactical channels, you won't hear them from South Brunswick unless you're on one shoulder of 535 and they're right across the yellow lines (okay, I exaggerate a little, but I would guess a half-mile tops).

There is a talk group on the trunk system listed as EMS dispatch for them but pager alerting cannot be done via a trunk system. It has to be done via a conventional frequency and there is none listed for that on the database here so I don't know how EMS is alerted. Maybe someone who monitors them can shed some light on that for you.
Monroe EMS is mostly a paid service. They have no pagers, alerting is done via trunked radio or in-house via landline / hardwire connection.

DJ88

Also, I just went back and looked at the Monroe Twp. Trunk System info again and I noticed that their Police Dispatch talk group is encrypted. Don't know if they encrypt everything or just the sensitive stuff.

It says that the system voice is Analog and P25 digital, however, as I said earlier, there is no indication as to which talk groups are digital and which ones are analog. With that said, it might be a good idea if someone familiar with the system would do a submission to the database and indicate what is digital and what is analog, for users who are not familiar with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.