South King County

Status
Not open for further replies.

rymrytr

I've had Scanners since back when you had to buy the individual Crystals and make sure you put the right color wires in the correct places, to get UHF or VHF. etc. I was much younger then!

My Radio Shack scanner that I have in the car is one that I programmed, and input in the talk group numbers, some 15 or more, years ago.

I just purchased a Pro 164, went through the manual and after 4 1/2 hours of struggling, (and reading a lot of entries here and on the Internet), I thought I would be able to hook it up to my LapTop and have the Freqs and Groups added. Silly me!

But now I have to admit that I can't comprehend any longer. I used to be smart, now I'm old. So…

I'm looking for any recommendation on a Tech or Store where I can take this thing, along with my list of talk groups, and have it programmed. I'm in south King County between Auburn and Federal Way.

Thanks for your help.

DickH

I've had Scanners since back when you had to buy the individual Crystals and make sure you put the right color wires in the correct places, to get UHF or VHF. etc. I was much younger then!

My Radio Shack scanner that I have in the car is one that I programmed, and input in the talk group numbers, some 15 or more, years ago.

I just purchased a Pro 164, went through the manual and after 4 1/2 hours of struggling, (and reading a lot of entries here and on the Internet), I thought I would be able to hook it up to my LapTop and have the Freqs and Groups added. Silly me!

But now I have to admit that I can't comprehend any longer. I used to be smart, now I'm old. So…

I'm looking for any recommendation on a Tech or Store where I can take this thing, along with my list of talk groups, and have it programmed. I'm in south King County between Auburn and Federal Way.

Thanks for your help.

You need a programming cable and programming software to be able to download data from the database. OR, you can enter the freqs.and talk groups manually.

rymrytr

Understanding

I called RadioShack (aka RadShack; aka RatShack) >grin> and they have the Cable for $40.00

If I get that, and download the software, it will, or I will, (using it), be able to put in the Talk Group numbers?

And you(all) can point me toward the proper Software. I saw W97 and W500 and others things, as I ran through the Forums, but don't know for sure, which one.

Thank you for your help; I had no idea that I'd get to be less than what I used to be! :eek:)

Stavro35

I'll help you.

Thanks for your help.

If you can get over to Bainbridge island, I'll help you. Or if you want to meet over in Seattle, along the waterfront at Pier 52, or one of the restaurants. I'll work with you to get things going. PM me.

DickH

If you want to monitor the King county trunked system and you want to try it manually, here are the steps. You will need to change the freqs. I have used to the ones you need.

The Pro-164 needs only the four control channels for each system to hear the entire system. Use one bank for each system.

First bank will be for the PORTLAND system.
(Each bank has 5 sub-banks, each holding 30 Talk Group IDs.).
The first step is to enter the control channel freqs.
1. Press PGM -> TRUNK -> FUNC, then use the arrows to select a bank.
2. Press MODE, select MOT.
3. Press PGM, select channel number. (use arrows to change channels).
4. Enter the first freq. 858.7125 -> ENT
5. Press MODE until MOT appears -> ENT (MOT will apply to next 3 freqs.).
6. Enter next freq. 858.7375 -> ENT.
7. Enter next freq. 859.2625 -> ENT.
8. Enter the last freq. 859.4625 -> ENT.
9. Press SCAN.
Now it will start "trunking".
There are two trunking modes, OPEN and CLOSED.
In OPEN mode you will hear ALL active Talk Groups.
In CLOSED mode you will hear only the TGs you enter into the sub-banks.

To program the sub-banks.
1. MAN -> PGM -> TRUNK.
2. FUNC - arrow to select bank.
3. Press MODE to select MOT.
4. Press TRUNK to select sub-bank.
5. Enter a Talk Group ID (2 to 5 numbers) -> ENT.
6. Enter then next ID -> ENT.
7. When all IDs have been entered, press SCAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.