South Korean numbers station V24 active again, Feb 15, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

South Korean numbers station V24 has returned to the air after a long apparent absence.

South Korean numbers station V24 is one of the older numbers stations still on the air, going back to at least the mid 1970's. This station typically transmits starting with music, the music selected runs the gamut from martial to pop and rock. The music does change over time, but appears to be somewhat consistent to time / frequency combinations. After the music a voice identifies who the message is for and starts to send 4 and 5 figure number groups in Korean.

The station transmits near daily, with a very defined schedule tied to the day of the month, time of transmission (typically active between 1130 and 1630 UTC), and frequency used (typically one of 4 to 9 frequencies). Some specific days have no transmission, others may have several, at its peak there were over 125 transmissions each month, and at its low points something like 20 transmissions per month. While there are often small adjustments, the overall schedule appears to change roughly twice in an average year

Until yesterday the last reported transmission of V24 was on June 16, 2015. It was thought by some that the station had been deactivated, as so many traditional numbers stations have been.

There were some music transmissions in late November, 2015, on historically used V24 frequencies that may have been tied to the station, however that was never confirmed. For over 36 hours music, the same song over and over, was sent on two long time V24 frequencies, 4900 and 6215 kHz. Video of those transmission here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfpDscKLDE

Yesterday, February 14, 2016, a Japanese language listening web site reported that V24 was active on 5290 kHz (a frequency it has used for a couple of years) at 1430 UTC. Another report, on an English speaking forum, said that a carrier, but no audio, was heard on 6215 kHz, a frequency this station has used for over 30 years.

I normally watch this station pretty closely with automated tasks to keep up with its activities. It is not often reported in English based forums or groups, being not well heard in most of North America and Europe, so I try to keep a current schedule published on the web, so that listeners who do want to try and hear it can increase their odds. However after 6 months plus of no activity I had shifted it very much to the back burner on the recording / monitoring schedule. I did accidentally record the 1430 UTC Feb 14 transmission on 5290 kHz, however I was using an antenna not pointed at Asia for that recording, and all I can really tell is that something was transmitting in AM mode on that frequency at that time.

However, after I read that Japanese site report of V24 activity I fired everything back up to track the station.

And I can say, yes, V24 is back. Today it transmitted, in its traditional format of music and then coded groups, on 6215 kHz at 1500 UTC. A video of that transmission is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxalaT0ozlg

From June 16, 2015, to February 14, 2016, this station was either off the air or was simply unreported. I know for the first couple months I looked pretty hard, and am convinced it was probably inactive. But now it is back. Makes one wonder, what happened? Did the political climate change? Did funding get tight? Was it a simple hardware update?

T!

n1yw

interesting
what are you using for your rx ant.
horizontal loop, loooong wire, 4 square ?
every winter i would have some good qso's with hams in JA land on 15m with my 3el beam.
i love the long haul qso's to VK/JA/ZL.
for 30/40/80M i use vert wire dipoles with radials buried all over the back yard

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There has been several big developments in the Korea situation, not the least of which was the latest launch of a North Korean satellite (confirmed by NORAD in a somewhat rare public statement on the subject) and some rumored tests of some long range weapons

Undoubtedly these events have played a role...Mike

Token

interesting
what are you using for your rx ant.
horizontal loop, loooong wire, 4 square ?
every winter i would have some good qso's with hams in JA land on 15m with my 3el beam.
i love the long haul qso's to VK/JA/ZL.
for 30/40/80M i use vert wire dipoles with radials buried all over the back yard

I have a few antennas. In the case of both of these recordings I was using one of my Rhombics, this one pointed 310 deg true, or pretty much right at Korea from my location.

T!

n1yw

I have a few antennas. In the case of both of these recordings I was using one of my Rhombics, this one pointed 310 deg true, or pretty much right at Korea from my location.

T!

ahhhhh, very good ant.
vertical or horizontal ?
i had a 160m horizontal loop for a while till old age won.
you must have a lot of real estate.
love my homebrew wire antennas,
i have 9 ant's crammed into my little plot. 6 hf and 3 scanner
my priority is always to put my radio $ into ant's 1st

Token

Not sure I have ever seen a vertical Rhombic on HF, but all of my Rhombics are horizontal. This antenna is 450 foot from apex to apex on the long axis. It is also terminated with an RF relay, so it can be either unterminated, terminated, or shorted, resulting in either bidirectional, directional, or roughly omni operation. I do not use it for transmit, only for receive, but the termination is healthy enough to allow up to maybe 400 Watts of TX if I wanted to.

T!

Token

There has been several big developments in the Korea situation, not the least of which was the latest launch of a North Korean satellite (confirmed by NORAD in a somewhat rare public statement on the subject) and some rumored tests of some long range weapons

Undoubtedly these events have played a role...Mike

These two nations have been in a state or war since 1950, they are legally still at war today. While the current situation between them is not great, for sure, there have been several times in the past when it was even more strained than today. There have been many cases of open hostility and conflict between them since this station was first noted as active in the 1970’s. Ships have been sunk, people killed, properties destroyed. None of this past conflict has been noted to make appreciable changes in the operating habits of this station. I guess maybe some moderately increased or decreased traffic cycles, maybe.

But even so, strained relations today does not answer why it went away 8 months ago…or came back now.

Before the station went away 8 months ago I noticed that the general quality of the transmissions was degrading. The AM modulation was not 100%, there was audio cross talk, and sometimes the transmitter power seemed to step up or down in power faster than propagation could normally account for. So when the station went away suddenly I thought one of the possible reasons was for equipment upgrades / replacement / failure. When the music was heard in November of 2015 the modulation depth seemed somewhat improved, and I thought that might be vindication of my upgrade theory.

But the transmissions seen this month have the same audio cross talk as was previously seen 8+ months ago. The modulation did seem somewhat better, but I am not convinced it is actually quantifiably better.

As with many things Ute / Numbers / Oddity, I suspect this is one we will never have a real answer for.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.