South Metro Cutting An Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
Starting 01/01/2010, South Metro Engine 37 (University & Orchard) will be removed from service. The only staffed unit will be Medic 37, the medic will also cross-staff a Brush truck when needed. Engine 38, Engine 14 & Squrt 12 will become the first due engines for 37's area.

Another sign of tough economic times? If it is, its a damn shame that public safety has to be affected....

I couldn't agree more, but the Volunteer Departments are doing well, nobody is working, making staffing more easier, especially for those mid afternoon calls when usually nobody is near to respond.

Warbirdhunter

Starting 01/01/2010, South Metro Engine 37 (University & Orchard) will be removed from service. The only staffed unit will be Medic 37, the medic will also cross-staff a Brush truck when needed. Engine 38, Engine 14 & Squrt 12 will become the first due engines for 37's area.

That would explain why Littleton engine 11 was at 37's house all day on Friday. Very sad, that's the crew that responded to my brothers death :(

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Cherry Hills posh posh I'm sure will complain when they discover they only have one engine first due on there mansion fire instead of two like it used to be. But those stations never made sense anyways much too close together and this plan was discussed I believe when the South Metro district was originally formed.

Jim<

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Just a side note since reference was made to economic times...
Fire protection districts in general (either paid, part-paid or volunteer) are somewhat insulated from economic ups and downs since in Colorado they are funded by property taxes and not sales taxes (they are not allowed to charge sales taxes).
While property value fluctuations can effect funding for fire protection districts, they are usually more predictable, not subject to month-to-month variations like sales taxes.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber

It would seem like EFD would be much closer than 14's and certainly than 12's?

Jim<

Toneslider12

Englewood 23 is closer to the west side without a doubt. The disadvantage to EFD is the delay in notifications while Littleton is now CAD to CAD with MetCom with AVL data. Truely in the time it would take for EFD to get toned, LFR or E38 would already be closer.

Englewood as well as Sheridan will still be used for aid, probably just not as much as LFR.

No firefighter positions are being cut, those crews will be used as rovers to fill the overtime voids. The economic impact to public safety will really hit hard in 2011 and poss 2012. SMFRA has foreseen this and is being proactive instead of reactive when it's too late. Other closures are being considered but not official yet.

Last edited:

Warbirdhunter

Cherry Hills posh posh I'm sure will complain when they discover they only have one engine first due on there mansion fire instead of two like it used to be. But those stations never made sense anyways much too close together and this plan was discussed I believe when the South Metro district was originally formed.

Jim<

The road just to the north of station 37, has four homes on it for sale. All over 1.5 Million ;). But I do agree Jim. One big fire in Cherry hills farms..:twisted:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Englewood 23 is closer to the west side without a doubt. The disadvantage to EFD is the delay in notifications while Littleton is now CAD to CAD with MetCom with AVL data. Truely in the time it would take for EFD to get toned, LFR or E38 would already be closer.

Englewood as well as Sheridan will still be used for aid, probably just not as much as LFR.

No firefighter positions are being cut, those crews will be used as rovers to fill the overtime voids. The economic impact to public safety will really hit hard in 2011 and poss 2012. SMFRA has foreseen this and is being proactive instead of reactive when it's too late. Other closures are being considered but not official yet.

That will be fun; EFD = Different dispatch center but at least DTRS, Sheridan = another different dispatch center and EDACS primarily but they have DTRS radios also.

Jim<

JeffTurner

Does Tower 32 still respond out of district MA Eric? And I mean like all the way to Cunningham 61's area or just departments that are next door...

Toneslider12

Engine 62 is indeed a quint, but Cunningham chooses to use it as an engine with aerial capability. E62 will always function initially as an engine. Tower 32 is the "first due" aerial to District 61. Truck 35 is the "first due" aerial to Districts 62 & 63, with Tower 45 running in sometimes too.

Warbirdhunter

Engine 62 is indeed a quint, but Cunningham chooses to use it as an engine with aerial capability. E62 will always function initially as an engine. Tower 32 is the "first due" aerial to District 61. Truck 35 is the "first due" aerial to Districts 62 & 63, with Tower 45 running in sometimes too.

Would that be true for the Yale And Syracuse area as well? Cause Tower 22 would be a ton closer I would think..

Status
Not open for further replies.