South of Schulte and No Reception WPD or SECO

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamlwright

Premium Subscriber
Good evening all....
I live south of Schulte at 47th south and half mile east of Maize and have zero or only occasional reception of WPD or SECO on both a Uniden BCD325P2 and a Uniden BCD396T both with 800 mhz rubber duckies. Any and all suggestions are welcome to correct reception issues? Have previously used a radio shack dicone antenna elevated on the roof with little or no improvement. HAM is excellent!!! Am I just too far away from the repeaters? Or should I invest in a desktop with a a dedicated outdoor good antenna? Again any help from the professionals is appreciated!!!

seanblackphotography

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like simulcast issues. I had the same problem when I lived near SGCO park. You're probably getting overlap from Goddard and Clearwater repeaters. Unfortunately, those scanners don't have the technology to decipher which signal to use, so they fall silent. The solution I had back then was to use a directional yagi antenna, which meant a big pole in my backyard. I didn't have any luck with changing out small rubber antennas. I've since moved, but I'm using a Unication G4 and it does great dealing with simulcast, but it's not as loud as I'd like. Ive been debating grabbing a Uniden SDS 100, but I'm just not sure yet.

Does the signal improve if you go drive around? I noticed my 396 back then would go from silent to perfect within just a couple miles.

williamlwright

Premium Subscriber
Roger that and thank you for the response. Haven't really taken them out and about since I updated all the software. I will occasionally get Wichita and SECO here in my office but its usually brief is why I think it might be an antenna and location issue (literally just move them one foot in one way or the other). Can hear everything from KHP, Med Helos and other SO's. Probably just time to bite the bullet and upgrade a unit... If I can find one!! LOL

fp5930

FYI...I have a SDS-100 and an Unication G4 and they both work fine anywhere in the city/county receiving Wichita/Sedgwick County Police, Sheriff, Fire and EMS transmissions. Also, include KHP and KTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.