South Scottsdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawtaps

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks,

Occasional lurker, first time poster...

Any companies or people that rent scanners?

Watching my business again tonight, had some sketchy situations past couple nights. Would be nice to know what's happening around me..

Only way I see to listen in south Scottsdale is to buy a scanner... which im open to but pretty nervous as well... it's a big purchase for what seems like an electronic that can be finicky in certain areas...for example, reading reviews, sds100 vs unication g4 pager, vs Whistler trx1 in Scottsdale and east Phoenix. What I've gathered is unication best, Whistler second, sds100 not so good, even though that's the one I'd want. Am I reading this right? Because it also seems like people get a preference for certain brands.

Sorry if someone gets mad at comparing a pager to scanner, I still not 100% on what would be better or the real world difference.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you all!

KB7MIB

Actually, I believe that it should be 1) Unication G4/G5, 2) Uniden SDS-100/200, 3) Whistler TRX-1/2, as far as reliably receiving the simulcast systems that you'd be interested in.

Other Uniden models may suffice, but that's highly dependent upon your exact location, compared to the actual transmitter sites, and whether or not your location is subject to multipath issues due to receiving multiple transmitter sites at nearly the same time.

As for renting, I'm only aware of that being done at NASCAR races for fans who want to listen to their favorite team.

John
Peoria

Pawtaps

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I believe that it should be 1) Unication G4/G5, 2) Uniden SDS-100/200, 3) Whistler TRX-1/2, as far as reliably receiving the simulcast systems that you'd be interested in.

Other Uniden models may suffice, but that's highly dependent upon your exact location, compared to the actual transmitter sites, and whether or not your location is subject to multipath issues due to receiving multiple transmitter sites at nearly the same time.

As for renting, I'm only aware of that being done at NASCAR races for fans who want to listen to their favorite team.

John
Peoria

A good stuff!!! Thank you! Makes me think I know a company that rents radios for events. I'll touch base, see if they have scanners.

If I were to ever go mobile would I be better off with a scanner as opposed to the unication pager?

Thanks again,
Mike
Scottsdale

Pawtaps

Premium Subscriber
Hey there!

I'm still getting caught up on this RWC business, have you had good luck with south Scottsdale 3401 F and H with that unit? I think that's where their at now... need to dig back into RF, so different these days...

KB7MIB

A good stuff!!! Thank you! Makes me think I know a company that rents radios for events. I'll touch base, see if they have scanners.

If I were to ever go mobile would I be better off with a scanner as opposed to the unication pager?

Thanks again,
Mike
Scottsdale

The Unication pager does have some limitations compared to a scanner, simply because it's a pager and not a scanner. However, I believe that Unication may be working on a firmware update to address these limitations, and it may in the near future have some more flexibility over what it is capable of now. You'd have to check the Unication section of the threads here to get any details on that.

I don't know what exactly your wants/ needs are, so I can't necessarily say that a scanner would be better. The G4 pager is 700/800 MHz only. The G5 is 700/800 Mhz, plus either VHF-High *or* UHF. (If you want both VHF-High and UHF, you'd need two separate G5's.) If you have any interest in VHF-Low (travel into California where the CHP is still on Lowband), in civilian or military aircraft, or systems other than P25 or analog NFM, or in anything else that the Unications aren't capable of, a scanner will allow you to listen to them.

So it all depends on your interests, whether short term, or long term.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.