South-side shooting leaves 1 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluemsp

South-side shooting leaves 1 dead
Port Huron police questioning 6 people in connection with case

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060524/NEWS01/605240303/1002

Port Huron police early today were continuing to investigate the shooting death of a 27-year-old Port Huron man on the city's south side.

City police were called at 10:05 p.m. Tuesday to check a report a man had been shot at 2911 Little St., west of 29th Street.

They found the victim lying in the grass northeast of a small, gray house.

He was taken by ambulance to Mercy Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police Maj. James Carmody said.

Carmody said the man, a native of Detroit who had been living in Port Huron for a few months, had been shot once or twice in the chest.

Police were not certain early today who shot him.

"We are checking everything, looking for anything that might have a hole in it," Carmody said.

Early today, Carmody said they were questioning four men and two women in connection with the case.

Police also found a van with bullet holes in it behind a house on Little Street east of 29th Street.

Carmody said police think they have found the car the victim used to get to the neighborhood.

In piecing together what they learned, Carmody said it appears the victim and his assailant or assailants may have been involved in a confrontation at the house where the van was found.

Earlier, police found a handgun at the scene.

They also took one man into custody who was seen by Marysville police, who were assisting the Port Huron department, running near 28th and Manuel streets. The location matched the direction Port Huron police dog Atlas tracked from the scene, Carmody said.

The other five people were in the Little Street house east of 29th Street.

Carmody said he did not know what prompted the shooting or how many people were involved.

"We are still trying to sort that out right now ... It's like a puzzle with pieces scattered all over the place," he said.

Edna Bowman, 23, who lives at 2914 Little St., across the street from the scene, said she heard five gunshots and saw several people running in different directions from near the intersection of 29th and Little streets.

She saw the victim run from behind the house across the street, and collapse face down in the yard, she said.

"I could hear the guy moaning," she said, as she looked toward the area of grass across the street cordoned off by yellow caution tape.

Bowman and her father, Neil, were working on her truck in the street in front of their house at the time of the shooting, she said.

She called 9-1-1 soon after she saw the man fall, she said.

Initially, the sound of the shots startled her. "I thought, 'Oh my God, where is it coming from and where can I access cover?'" Bowman said.

Bowman was one of several area residents who gathered Tuesday night on the streets and sidewalks near the shooting.

Immediately to the east, John Harris, 37, and his stepson, Dustin Collins, 14, were on their front porch watching the police walk back and forth along Little Street.

Dustin said he heard the gunshots while he was watching television and came outside when he saw police lights.

"It scared me. My heart kind of sank," he said about hearing the gunfire.

The idea of suspects still on the run made him uneasy, he said. "I'm not sleeping tonight."

Harris said nothing like this had happen in the neighborhood before.

"I've lived in a lot of places all over Port Huron, and this is the quietest neighborhood," he said

10if04m.jpg

Sgt. Scott "Spike" Pike

10if0nm.jpg

Scott Pike
Lee "Pretty Boy" Heighton
Chris "Mr. Bean" Bean

Also our FD wrecked a Engine this morning in a accident. Soon as it hits the paper I will post it.

bigbluemsp

MacombMonitor said:
The first picture of Sgt. Scott looks like he's taking a sobriety test! :)

That it does.

I asked the guy that took the pic if they had to have the lady stand on a ladder to be seen in the pic with him. After all he is 6'9"

MacombMonitor

bigbluemsp said:
That it does.

I asked the guy that took the pic if they had to have the lady stand on a ladder to be seen in the pic with him. After all he is 6'9"

Yea, I was noticing that in the second picture! It appears his men "look up" to him! :wink:
Hope I don't run into him...he has has a half foot on me!

bigbluemsp

MacombMonitor said:
Yea, I was noticing that in the second picture! It appears his men "look up" to him! :wink:
Hope I don't run into him...he has has a half foot on me!

If you run into him you must not be running fast. He runs slower then Jaba The Hut

firephotographer50

Premium Subscriber
Fire Truck accident

Also our FD wrecked a Engine this morning in a accident. Soon as it hits the paper I will post it.[/QUOTE]

This picture is from our local newspaper the Times Herald on Thursday, May 25, 2006.

I'm just glad there were no major injuries.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.