South Texas Suspicious Balloon Tracking - 3/25/2023

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Looks like a suspicious balloon has been spotted in South Texas, and there are assets building to track and identify it. So far they've identified it as a balloon with a long string with something attached. There's an E-3 out of Tinker headed down to provide coverage. Gassman 02 is on station providing air refueling, Gassman 03 is enroute from the West Coast as well.

271.000 is active with Bigfoot and the fighters and the tanker getting Bogey Dopes (radar vectors) to the balloon

354.0 and 128.6 were active with Houston Center working the fighters

Fighters referenced CONR-3 to be used if they need to go secure (UHF Satcom 263.925 downlink). CONR-3 is also very active with secure traffic.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
41,000 feet. It has a container hanging from it and is 10 feet in diameter. I’m recording all the traffic on 271.0 and Houston center on 133.750 which is being used as well.
I'm recording 271.000 as well.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Will you be posting a recording of the comms somewhere? It's been a while since I've listened to Bigfoot traffic. Thx

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Lindsay! This brings up an interesting issue. A lot of resources were expended to identify this object, not to mention frayed nerves because of all the recent spying on US military installations by adversarial state actors. By not requiring balloon hobbyists to notify the FAA or the military before sending these craft up in the NAS where they technically can become a hazard to navigation appears to be an issue that needs to be addressed by the FAA. I'm not saying stop them from doing it but make it a requirement to at least issue a NOTAM, or like in the case of drones, put a Remote ID broadcadt beacon on it so it can be quickly identified as friendly!